Lowering ailerons to gain cruise speed

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

olypenflyr

Lowering ailerons to gain cruise speed

Post by olypenflyr »

Two of my friends with 1960-70 vintage C-172s have dropped their ailerons about 1/4 to 3/8” relative to the flaps and have seen a significant increase in cruise airspeed. Has this been done on 170s with positive results?
counsellj

Re: Lowering ailerons to gain cruise speed

Post by counsellj »

I would think, raising them would help more than lowering them .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Lowering them increases induced drag and results in slightly reducing stall speed... it does not increase cruise speed... but it may change the AOA and relative wind during cruise which may result in changing CAS/Instrument error and erroneously show an increase in IAS.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

The only way to ensure your aircraft is performing to its best is have all the flight controls rigged exactly as Mr Cessna requested . Every 100hrly that comes through our shop the controls are always checked and the high percentage that are incorrectly rigged is mind blowing. Also check your cable tensions also . They do stretch over time . Another point is check your rod end bearings . If the are worn and allow movement , a small flutter of the control surface can happen. The skin condition of your flight controls also has a big part to play on drag. Hangar rash and repairs not done correctly does have a big impact . While I am preaching , my aircraft Lh aileron has repairs to the hangar rash and looks like a dog has chewed it but the aircraft flies hands off and I do not want to up set the status quo.
olypenflyr

Post by olypenflyr »

Thanks for the info. My rigging looks great and it flies nicely hands off. Was repainted and everything rerigged and inspected about 4 years ago. I’m going to leave things as is. Sometimes these things sound great but in reality don’t gain anything.