Push button worn out?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dogone

Push button worn out?

Post by dogone »

Late Fri I went to fly HAT and dead. Battery good and fuel pump. radios ,strobes,etc work. Of course it is late fri and my mech has gone for weekend so no help till mon. Just wondering has anyone had the push button start wear out? Just grasping for answers. Took cowl off and no obvious broken wires there.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Push button worn out?

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Assuming you have original pull to start Delco Remy starter. Yes the button can "go bad". Generally though, the button can be removed, disassembled and cleaned. It is really just on big contact in there.

Should you need a new one, they are available at NAPA and places that sell tractor parts cause the same button was used on tractors.

Also, be sure to check the travel of the button activation lever to insure it is adequately engaging the gear prior to starter activation.
Attachments
Delco Remy Starter Service.pdf
(697.02 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
dav8or

Post by dav8or »

Sorry for bringing up an older post but this one is close to answering my question.

Does anyone happen to have a part number for a replacement starter button that will work? The return spring on mine has collapsed and it does not appear that it can be repaired.

I tried walking into Napa and they opened the parts book but the only one I saw in there has different dimensions which would put the activation plunger(button) in the wrong location.

Thanks,
Dan
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

dav8or wrote:Sorry for bringing up an older post but this one is close to answering my question.

Does anyone happen to have a part number for a replacement starter button that will work? The return spring on mine has collapsed and it does not appear that it can be repaired.

I tried walking into Napa and they opened the parts book but the only one I saw in there has different dimensions which would put the activation plunger(button) in the wrong location.

Thanks,
Dan
Did you see the response at the other thread where you posted..? viewtopic.php?f=24&t=16620&p=152545#p152545
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)