CHT Ring sensor

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

epeter786

CHT Ring sensor

Post by epeter786 »

All,

What am I supposed to do with the CHT ring sensor when I clean/rotate/gap the spark plugs. Do you replace it or try to anneal that thing while on the little wire?

I'm (obviously) not an A&P, and my daughter and I have been doing this stuff in the grass at our tie down. Anything exotic will likely be beyond us. First plane, and we've got about 400 hours on the engine in our first 2 years, so it does not come up that often.

Thanks for the help.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: CHT Ring sensor

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You do nothing to it. You do not anneal it. Reinstall it as you found it on the new or rotated plug, rather than the normal copper washer.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yep. What Bruce said.

Copper washers are used on spark plugs because they conduct heat (and electricity) so well. The spark plug gets hot due to the ignition process (and remember that spark plug part numbers relate to their heat-range) and that copper washer helps transfer the heat out of that plug to the cylinder head where cooling fins can pass it to the air. It also is soft (when new) and helps seal the base of the plug to the cylinder to avoid leaks.
But copper hardens in-use (disrupted by bending or clamping) and cannot be counted on to re-seat and seal when re-used. That is why they are annealed if they are re-used.... so that they will be returned to a soft condition so they can mate with the plug and spark-plug “boss” on the cyl head again. (Annealing them requires they be heated to the point of glowing and then cooling them again before re-use.)
The CHT sensor is made of iron-constantin (or other in some designs) and is not pure copper. It doesn’t harden like pure copper and heating it to the point of annealing it might also destroy its ability to generate the current necessary to energize the CHT gauge.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
epeter786

Post by epeter786 »

Thanks!
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

I changed my plugs and reinstalled the ring sensor to the same position it was in before, now I do not get any reading higher than 50-60 C.... :|
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Bryan
Sounds like your ring has failed for some reason, either broken wire or thermocouple failure?
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

bgiesbrecht wrote:I changed my plugs and reinstalled the ring sensor to the same position it was in before, now I do not get any reading higher than 50-60 C.... :|
Make sure the replacement sensor is of the same type as the old one. Most I’ve seen are type K (chromel-alumel) thermocouples, but I’ve heard of some being type J (iron-constantan). One clue will be the color of the lead wires going back to the instrument (lead wire must be the same metals as those in the thermocouple itself). Type K will be yellow paired with red. Type J will be white paired with red.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne