C-145 overhaul/swap

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

sreeves

C-145 overhaul/swap

Post by sreeves »

I have begun to start thinking about overhauling or swapping my engine. I currently have a C-145 (2800 hrs TT) in my 170A, which is about half-way to TBO, but the last major was about 30 years ago. The engine is running good. Maybe a new set of cylinders soon. But since the bottom end hasn't been looked at in such a long time I think it may be wise to do the MOH. I haven't seen any current information on what certified shops will still overhaul the C-145. I talked to a few venders at this year's Sun-N-Fun and it seems getting parts is the issue and found no one interested in doing an overhaul on the C-145. Does anybody have advice on that? Who will overhaul the C-145 engine these days?

I also haven't seen any current info on changing to a Lyc O-360 or IO-360 each with or without a constant speed prop. Any ideas anyone?

Steve
Stephen Reeves
Palm Harbor, Florida
Cessna 170A, N1773D, S/N 20216
ghostflyer

Re: C-145 overhaul/swap

Post by ghostflyer »

There are only two reputable STC holders for fitment of lycoming engines in Cessna 170,s there is Stoots aviation in Alaska and Harry Dellicker in Porterville in California. Harry has passed away but his company is still running .sorry I haven’t his companies particulars at hand. Stoots aviation has a web page. I purchased my STC off Harry when he was alive and found it ok. There was issues around some of the paper work but I was able to work around it. I have heard /seen some very good reports regarding Stoots Aviation also. I am hoping that some of our members will pipe in giving their personal experiences with the different STC holders .
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Steve, Western Skyways in Montrose, CO will do that engine for you.
So will Penn Yan in NY (where we will be having our convention next year so that’s a great reason to plan to attend as we will be visiting that facility.)

The IO-360 terminology can apply to two different engines/mfr’s. Both Lycoming and Continental make engines with that designation.
The one most appropriate (and my personal favorite candidate for a 170-conversion) is the Continental IO-360 because it will... 1- Fit under the original 170 cowl without “blisters” on the cheeks and ...2- is a smooth-running six-cylinder. It can use either an EM/McCauley fixed pitch prop (and therefore the same original spinner style as the EM series props) or a constant speed.

Engine conversions are NOT CHEAP and it takes a bit of down-time. Metal Master (one of our own Forum members) posted a nice, detailed thread about his own. Unfortunately the conversions do not provide any increase in gross weight to make the airplane fully utilise the newly available horsepower, nor does the airplane pick up any great speed increase (drag increases as the square of velocity) but the take-off/climb performance is exhilarating.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I do wish we could make a phone call, wire funds for a factory re man engine for the C-170 aircraft.

Have room for a Crated Re Man engine in your environs ? You can do it!

Do you have a PLAN for your C 170 to be flying in 2048?

regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

When I had the old continental fitted my cruise speed was around 95kts and sometimes at altitude it could peak at 105kts and that was on a good day . However since fitting the lycoming my cruise speeds are on par or a little better than a new Cessna 172. One thing I have noticed is the aircraft feels a little more slippery and gains speed more easily.[ no nose wheel in the breeze] When the continental was fitted it had a brand new prop fitted at 56in pitch . With the lycoming it has a 60in pitch which is a good all round prop. My climb rated with the new engine is a fractionally better than a new Cessna 172 . Plus one factor which I do not have a answer for is my climb rate is constant up to about 8500ft . One area that was changed that the front cowl has been changed due to the STC so maybe it’s more aerodynamic .