Cessna 170b windshield lower inner strip

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

seatothepants

Cessna 170b windshield lower inner strip

Post by seatothepants »

Hello, all.
Im looking for part # 0510000-22, the inner lower windshield retainer for my restoration, mine is looking a little corroded and Im at a point where it would be "easy" to replace. Any thoughts on where I should look? I thought I would start with this group. Thanks in advance.
ghostflyer

Re: Cessna 170b windshield lower inner strip

Post by ghostflyer »

If you go to cessna or their distributor the cost of a new part will make your eyes water and maybe you will stop breathing. If you obtain one from the recyclers it could be butchered on removal or corroded also. Early Cessna 172,s have the same part. We have replaced 2 of these in our shop over the years and found making one in house far better. Originally it took 2 goes to come up with the acceptable part. I would be talking to a real good sheet metal guy. Maybe the corroded area could be cut out and a patch be inserted. To replace that part is a big job and alignment has to be done correctly .
GAHorn

Re: Cessna 170b windshield lower inner strip

Post by GAHorn »

When you finally get around to doing this I suggest you avoid the common attempts to seal up that area using ProSeal or other “pookie”. The windshield should “float” within it’s framework. Felt is the material to be used. It will “wick away” moisture and allow the area to dry-out without contributing to trapped moisture, corrosion, and cracking of a new windshield that was held too tightly.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)