Pros and Cons of Polished Aluminum

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dstates

Re: Pros and Cons of Polished Aluminum

Post by dstates »

lowNslow wrote:
dstates wrote:
lowNslow wrote:The problem with polishing is you are slowing removing the surface alclad layer of pure aluminum from your aluminum surfaces which is there to prevent corrosion of the aluminum alloy core material. As nice as it looks I think painting or using George's technique is the way to go.
I went to the Nuvite forum this year at Oshkosh and the presenter talked about this, she said it would take over something like 150 heavy cut polishing passes to get through the alclad layer...
She may be right but she is also trying to sell polishing product.

I know they are selling a polishing product, but here is the info she mentioned during the forum. It is also posted on the Perfect Polish website under their tips and tricks section.

“Will repeated polishing remove the Alcad coating? Not according to Boeing. As a quality control measure Boeing polishes all of their exterior skin sections after forming using robotic polishers and Nuvite F-7. Apparently defects in the skin are easier to spot when polished. They once polished a section 370 times and the surface cladding (Alcad) was still there. Boeing says that polishing does not remove metal, it just “turns it over.”

Of course if the surface is badly corroded or has been sanded, the Alcad will be gone. But it will polish up nicely anyway.”
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Top shelf!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

And Boeing never misleads anyone.

This is all very subjective. How much pressure was applied 370 times? The key here is in definition: What is the difference between “polishing” and “removing” material? If water can polish a rock... or create the Grand Canyon... is material being removed?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)