Oil quick drain issue

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: Oil quick drain issue

Post by n2582d »

I was wondering if you possibly got a C-125 case. Even if you did, I really doubt the leg mount positions would be different than a C-145. This is a real head-scratcher!
Edit:
Here's some relevant dimensions from fig. 9 of the O-300 Overhaul Manual.
Fig. 9, Click to Enlarge
Fig. 9, Click to Enlarge
Last edited by n2582d on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

As I stated in a previous reply [which didn’t register here for some reason ] . That all continental engines are not created equal. Some were built by RR in england and other airframe manufacturers required some changes to the O-300 engine .eg the French Robin”. I was asked some years ago by a engine overhauler why a serviceable sump for a O-300 had different attachment bolt spacing. I had no idea. He had some crazy idea that I knew some thing about O-300 engines. But look at the the numbers on the casing and see if they match and compare another know engine .
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Otis

I hope you have not paid the Final Bill on this overhaul.

Have you tried to fit your cowling on the engine?

If the engine is 1/2" shorter there may be serious fitment issues w the nosecone.

I am sorry that this has happened to you.

All of us would like to see you flying your C170 very soon.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Gary, I do not see a forward sump drain in those illustrations. I too thought of the possibility of a C125 case, but since I’ve lost my harddrives to the flood I cannot look at my notes on those differences. The Swift Assoc’n had a discussion on this type error and I’m at a loss to re-locate that info for the time being.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

According to the IPC the sumps are the same for the C125 and C-145/0-300. Of course we know there is a 3 and 5 hole sump and matching accessory case. I've had both a 3 and 5 hole sump. They are the same othe than the different number of holes.

Also George, I belive if you look closer at the drawing Gary posted, you will see a drain hole 2-1/4" forward of the rear of the sump.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
OTIS

Re: Oil quick drain issue (update)

Post by OTIS »

We pulled the engine back off and verified all parts, installation, torque numbers........we reinstalled the engine with a “keep it as far forward as possible” goal. We gain enough space for the quick drain to work, but there is minimal clearance.

It appears, as ghostfly said in an earlier post, “that not all engines are created equal”.

Any thoughts on purchasing a motor mount to see if that would make any difference?

Gerry
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I would not buy another engine frame . “most” are all the same except the ones that have been bent in the their life cycle.
While I am no expert on the O-300 , I had many amusing experiences in finding all the parts and building up a O-300 engine . In my country O-300,engines are rare to find including parts so I had to look at different airframes that carried the O-300. We travelled all over Australia looking for O-300 engines . I ended up buying a engine that had been in a Robin [well parts of it] but part of the deal was 2 props had to be purchased also. One prop was virtually new and had all the right numbers .
But there are differences in the O-300 engines and where they were built.