large feet and rudder pedals

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rickyricky2

large feet and rudder pedals

Post by rickyricky2 »

Hello All
Does anyone else have a problem with large feet. I can not apply full rudder without being on the brakes. I have been lowering my feet so I am just using my toes but then I can't get to the brakes.
I think I need about a 1/2 in block on the bottom of the rudder pedal to keep the top of my foot off the brakes.
I can't be the only one with #12 sneakers.

Dick Bryant
2704C
brian.olson

Re: large feet and rudder pedals

Post by brian.olson »

Dick:

My personal experience and humble opinion only here. While my feet aren't "huge" my running shoes are size 12s and occasionally I find a similar scenario where if I'm not careful, I can inadvertently tap a brake. I find this happens more often if I'm wearing shoes with stiffer soles, so I typically try to fly in running shoes which provide greater flexibility. From a purely tactical perspective I tend to fly heels on floor with only the top portion of my feet (i.e., balls of the foot through the toes) in contact with the rudder pedals, and make minor rudder corrections mostly by flexing my toes. Major corrections are made by keeping my foot placement the same but either rotating my ankle or sliding my heel on the floor, and if brakes are required I slide my feet further up on the pedals so that I can flex into the brakes. The only time I've experienced any type of problem is if/when I fly in a shoe with a stiff sole (dress shoes, etc.) where I can't easily flex my feet. I've never had a problem with the width of my feet on the pedals using this approach, but in all transparency I have never flown in boots which could potentially contribute to a problem.

I'm sure there will be wildly differing opinions how this is both right and wrong, so again I'll just reiterate that it's my own personal experience ...

Happy flying!
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

One issue might be the adjustment of the operating rod of the brake master cyls... if the rod is adjusted to the greatest length of operating rod then any movement of the top of that pedal will result in brake application. If it’s adjusted to a lesser length, then more top-of-pedal movement is required before brake application occurs.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I'm pretty sure that no one here has bigger feet than mine...I don't know how long you've had your 170 but after awhile you won't even think about it. I keep my toes on the bottom of the rudder pedals for the most part, but when brake is needed my feet automatically rise to the occasion and do what they are supposed to do brake wise. Spend some time taxiing around and you'll find your sweet spot.
170C

Post by 170C »

George's comment regarding adjustment of the master cylinder rod to brake pedal is right on. I recently observed a pilot applying brakes during take off as a result of the rod being extended to the point that any pressure on the top of the rudder pedal resulted in brake application. That pilot had previously adjusted the rod and now finds it must be adjusted back (shortened) somewhat to prevent inadvertent brake application.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Everyone has to make their own choices on what they wear when they fly. Some people carry a set of shoes just for flying, some fly in their socks, some wear moccasins. My first instructor never said a word about shoes. He just taught me how to fly the PA-11 Cub and later the C-150 for my check ride in whatever shoes I was wearing that day. I'm glad he never said anything.

I have flown in bunny boots and tennis shoes and everything in-between except NEVER open toes or sandals. I wear size 13. Each shoe might require some consideration in how you place your feet on the pedals but should not be a factor in flying the plane unless they physically interfere with the controls. I would probably remove clown shoes before flying but that is about it.

The most important factor in what shoe I wear when flying is survival potential if forced to make an unplanned landing. I might wear tennis shoes if doing touch and goes or staying around local. If I'm going any further than I can walk back to the airport, I wear shoes suitable for the flight. Always leather high tops flying across rough country. Insulated winter boots in cold/winter conditions, even in the summer, flying around Mt. McKinley is always in Arctic conditions.

Get used to flying the plane in whatever shoe you want but consider where you are going to fly to select what shoes you wear.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I have size 13 feet as well. What Richard said is spot on. I used to fly barefoot (wearing flip flops and kicking them off once I got in the airplane) until a friend and I experienced an engine failure on rotation out of a relatively short runway in his Comanche. It was everything we could do to get the airplane stopped before the end.

The kicker was, off the departure end of that runway was land that had recently been clear cut. I shudder to this day thinking of having to potentially quickly get away from a wrecked airplane over that kind of terrain barefoot.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I’d pay a lot to see a picture of Richard wearing his “bunny slippers”. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

gahorn wrote:I’d pay a lot to see a picture of Richard wearing his “bunny slippers”. :lol:
Bunny Boots were my normal footwear in the winter for 20 years when I was working in the oilfield in the arctic.

I still have a few pair if you really want a picture. How much is it worth?

My first check pilot flying with the CAP in Alaska told me on my first check ride, "You'll either live or die with what you are wearing when you make a forced landing". Good advice I still use to this day, especially when flying in Alaska.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

83 Year old with special " Wide Clown Shoes"

Driving a Van in New Jersey has a wreck 2012

He is wearing the wide clown shoes ; driving Van on freeway.

Glad he was not flying a Cessna.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C