Avionics Upgrade

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Avionics Upgrade

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Really where should we discuss Avionics Pilot Lounge or Hanger?

I have an ancient Nav/Com that could stand replacing. It works but looks old. Did I hear that VORs are going to be
decommissioned?

It is a GENAVE 200 Nav/Com. Heard they hog the batt.

Don't want to fund GARMIN Glass at this point. What does the forum suggest?

Modern COM frequencies in a used radio would work. Difference between Old and ancient.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
Ryan Smith

Re: Avionics Upgrade

Post by Ryan Smith »

Those things were ancient when I was a baby. My grandfather took one OUT of 56D in 1987. Kudos to you for keeping yours running so long.

That said, lots of good options out there. You’ll need a separate indicator for whatever you buy. I like the Garmin GNC-255, but unless you’re going to have an airplane IFR certified, a GPS/comm, or simply a comm radio would work. I use ForeFlight to navigate VFR anyway.
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Mine has a Garmin SL-30 NavCom in it. Old technology by today's standards but adequate. Takes up very little space and is an interesting concept- Com is a "flip flop" but you can monitor the secondary frequency while transmitting/ receiving on the first. Kind of "geewhiz" to me but perhaps others used to more modern avionics think it's no big deal. They can be found fairly reasonably on the used market. It does have a CDI on the screen if you didn't want an indicator; I have a Mid Continent MD40-44 indicator which is 2" diameter.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Wow, a Genave 200 nav/com . I haven’t seen one for many years . I did a avionics exam in about 1969 on that radio package . I then saw one in a aircraft in about 1983. Even through I did the technician course I didn’t know much about them and still don’t ,plus i was scared stiff they would ask questions on the exciter section . Plus the oscillator assembly was a black science also. It was a weighty little item also . I would go Dynon route or look at Garmin.
It’s my belief the Genave 200 started life as a valve unit but when reaching production had transistors in it. Wow. What’s a transistor people might ask?

PS. Any body remember the ARC 110 and 114 radios of that period. Big and heavy and suck power.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

ghostflyer wrote:...the Genave 200 started life as a valve unit ....
Translation into American English: Valve = Vacuum-tube. :mrgreen:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Thanks George, I had a good laugh on that one . I forgot that you “blokes” speak a different language and talk funny.
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

Umm yes, people separated by a common language.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

N2625U wrote:Umm yes, people separated by a common language.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVnvxtAtzYE