professional responsibility question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

new2cessna

professional responsibility question

Post by new2cessna »

I have a problem with my mechanic. He has taken care of my planes for over 30 years. I took my bonanza in for repair engine, as it would cut off on roll out after landing. We are going into the 4th month with no results. I don't know if it is an age related issue or what is going on, he is seldom at hangar, phone calls not returned. I consider him a friend and don't want to blow up over this, is there a grievance committee through faa ,as the licensing agency, to bring some light to his situation, and get whatever help is needed? It is a small rural facility with no other mechs on field. Thanks, Tim
IA DPE

Re: professional responsibility question

Post by IA DPE »

If you feel he is incompetent or intentionally performing bad maintenance I suppose you could call the local FSDO. Personally I wouldn’t do that except for a most extreme case. Calling the FAA would most certainly “blow this up.” I’d just find another mechanic whom I trusted.

As far as not being there or answering phone calls when it’s convenient for you, the FAA can’t force him to do that. Same solution as above.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

If he is an older gentlemen, he may be suffering from some medical issues. Keep asking around and see what you can find out, then maybe approach him with the , "How can I help you, help me" avenue. Good luck.

Jughead
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

new2cessna wrote:I have a problem with my mechanic. He has taken care of my planes for over 30 years. I took my bonanza in for repair engine, as it would cut off on roll out after landing. We are going into the 4th month with no results. I don't know if it is an age related issue or what is going on, he is seldom at hangar, phone calls not returned. I consider him a friend and don't want to blow up over this, is there a grievance committee through faa ,as the licensing agency, to bring some light to his situation, and get whatever help is needed? It is a small rural facility with no other mechs on field. Thanks, Tim
Just because he doesn't know the solution to your engine problem doesn't mean he's violating any regulation or ethic and so it's not an FAA matter, IMO.

He may simply be embarrassed that he's been unable to resolve your engine problem and doesn't know how to handle your phone calls as the result. That's also not an FAA issue.

If you consider him a friend, ... Tell him so, and do it in person. Tell him you're not unhappy with the friendship and that you don't hold him accountable for lacking a solution... you just want guidance on how to pursue a solution. (BTW, I had the same problem with a fuel injected engine and it turned out to be an overly-rich mixture/fuel-pressure issue while at idle after a flight. Leaning the mixture/Leaving it lean on approach/landing demonstrated the solution. A non-injected engine can suffer this from dirty/blocked air filter and/or low-idle-setting. YMMV)

There is no "gievance procedure" with FAA over incompetence either. ... only malfeasance or illegal activity or repair.... and that will not likely solve the aircraft owner's problem... it only brings an enforcement action between the mechanic and FAA... and angers the mechanic who will likely then refuse to deal with the complaintant. (Fighting the FAA will reduce the money any mechanic has available to deal with the problem-customer and certainly takes away any incentive to do so.) Going to FAA is a LAST RESORT and is only useful in perhaps FINING or REMOVING the offending mechanic/shop from doing aircraft business. It will NOT resolve an offended owner's problem, and it will NEVER improve the relationship.

Visit with him in person and in private about your mutual communication and repair concerns. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
new2cessna

Post by new2cessna »

hi gahorn, you are exactly right. and I know what I need to do.Probably just not looking forward to it. It is easy to get caught up in the negative juice we get from being wronged. Rather be right or rather be happy? Thank you for reminding me. Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Good. Glad that's how you see it.

Another aspect of an aircraft owner taking a complaint to FAA is that it can have unexpected consequences the owner never intended.

When the FAA Inspector shows up and looks at the airplane (an often unexpected action the owner/complainant didn't consider)… the FAA Inspector is initially only wanting to confirm the problem-repair. But he will likely also want to go over the rest of the airplane and ALL it's Mx Records/Logbooks. 8O

Now the owner is really concerned... and may even find his airplane grounded for FAR MORE required repairs than the owner ever thought of previously.

A call to FAA for enforcement actions can have far-reaching consequences upon which an owner might wish to reflect before calling in the Feds.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
strangebird

Post by strangebird »

I agree do it man to man, friend to friend, KEEP THE FEDS OUT no good can come from that route.

You do not know what is going on in your mechanics life, find out ,ask him be his friend, take him to lunch and talk, and then if he say he ca't fix it, take the airplane else where, so it is not sitting, but be kind to him you have a long relationship with him.

Sometimes we have to suck it up and be firm with people. You have the option of taking the airplane elsewhere, and I get change is hard, even when things are not good.
Signed,
Dr Phil