Non standard rudder return spring system

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

alanbaker

Non standard rudder return spring system

Post by alanbaker »

Hi everyone! New member here, first post. I bought my 170 to learn to fly tailwheel and to have fun building time. I'm in the process of getting checked out now.

My instructor was reporting some poor ground handling and so I did some investigating as to why that might be. I landed on the rudder return springs. I took off the inspection panel underneath them to see if there were any problems and I found that the right side spring was missing and the left side spring was just hanging from the arm on the rudder control.

Crazy right? The rudder does return to an off center position so I kept digging and found on the right side pedals that there is a non standard return spring system installed. I'll include pictures. Is this system an approved system? I can't find any mentions of it in the log books but this aircraft has been maintained by the same AMT for 25 years and he recently won the FAA AMT of the year so I have some confidence in the maintenance history of the aircraft.

What do you guys make of this? Thanks for all the info! I would not have gotten this far if it wasn't for this forum!

Alan
Attachments
return spring 4.jpg
return spring 3.jpg
return spring 2.jpg
return spring 1.jpg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Non standard rudder return spring system

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I know of no other approved return spring system other than the stock springs.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I would not fly that aircraft until it has been reverted back to as it came out of the factory . Have it done by a reputable shop. No wonder you were having ground handling issues. Plus if you had a accident the insurance company would wipe you like a dirty rag . The FAA would have a field day . Its a serious nonconforming modification.
alanbaker

Post by alanbaker »

Thank you Bruce and ghostflyer! I ordered the springs yesterday after I found them missing and broke. I just wanted to verify that this was a farmer John fix rather than some STCd alternative I was not aware of. Don't worry guys, I will have it returned to stock before I fly it again! Thank you for confirming my suspicions!

Alan
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Hey Alan welcome...nice splash on your first post. What’s you machine? Any pics?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Yes, we want to see pics of the WHOLE airplane, too :lol:
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Alan, there are lots of good "Farmer John" fixes. There are two problems with most of them. There is no documentation which means there is no way to know if the modification is in good mechanical order. Your aircrafts mod apparently is not in good mechanical order or you wouldn't have noticed an issue. And second, as mentioned and is part of the documentation process, there was no appropriate approval sought to make the modification.

Installing these spring is a real joy. Specially for the first timer. I started a thread a while ago documenting a process I came up with to make the process easier. You can find it here:

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... pring+tool

Lots of good pictures and drawings and my home made simple tools to help you get this done.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

Welcome aboard Alan! Look forward to seeing a post about putting the new rudder springs on your new 170 and some photos of your plane, inside and out.
Where are you located Alan?

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Welcome, Alan, and congratulations on the purchase of your 170!
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Welcome, and thanks for the post!

Replacing the springs isn’t bad if you follow the recommendation (in the thread Bruce linked) to release the rudder cables from the rudder horn. That gives you the slack needed to hook the springs.

Welcome aboard!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Returning this aircraft to standard configuration could be a bigger job than just replacing the old springs . The modification has to be removed also and what damage to structure has been done by the addition of the illegal modification. The area around the rudder pedals should be closely inspected for distortion and cracking and wear . I would be having the rudder system completely rigged checked especially the distance the rudder pedals are from the fire wall . This area is often missed during a 100hrly . It wouldn’t hurt to do a complete rudder inspection also. While you are relaxing and lying around on the floor of the aircraft and having a look around this area check your hydraulic master cylinders for level also.
Gosh!! Owing a aircraft is soooo much fun.
alanbaker

Post by alanbaker »

WOW thanks for the warm welcome guys! Hopefully returning the return system back to original isn't too big of an issue! I will try to remember to take pictures as I work with an A&P to get everything buttoned back up! I contacted the A&P who has maintained it for the last 25 years and he had no idea. Probably what I would say too.....

Anyways, I'll get it straightened up!

Here she is! N4286V serial number 18700. looking forward to meeting you guys at some of the local fly-ins! I am in Oregon, anyone else local?

-Alan
IMG_20190411_011334744.jpg
IMG_20190404_012628839.jpg
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Alan,..WELCOME also!

My predecessor Tom Hall created the Rigging Instructions for the 170 series. You will want to download a copy here in our Mx Library: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... =41&t=8196
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
alanbaker

Post by alanbaker »

Thanks gahorn! I got lucky that the previous owner was also a member and have me a ton of documentation to go with the aircraft including that manual that uses member contributions to go through each system, such a brilliant use of community knowledge! I was impressed before I even logged in!

-Alan
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

alanbaker wrote:Thanks gahorn! I got lucky that the previous owner was also a member and have me a ton of documentation to go with the aircraft including that manual that uses member contributions to go through each system, such a brilliant use of community knowledge! I was impressed before I even logged in!

-Alan
Beware of the SRAM manual that is out of print. It was created before anyone paid attention to regulations and has a lot of backyard-hot-rod solution mentality. It's a fine book to have... just beware.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)