Cessna brake line fairing

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Cessna brake line fairing

Post by ghostflyer »

It has been mentioned in the past about our gear leg brake line clips are not the most easy item to procure. Then it was mentioned there was a rubber fairing that is glued to the leg that also holds the brake line to the leg.[see new Cessna 206HD for example ] Spruce sells 5 ft of this rubber part no. 05-15143 but Mc Farlane also sells the fairing with part number P580058. Total cost $15.
I have done this mod due to having a stone damage my brake line and causing a small leak. Plus I am often land in long grass and small branches and had to clean this part of the leg and straighten out the brake line.
So having a can of acetone and clean rags the rear of the leg is cleaned and brake line is cleaned . Then the rubber fairing is
Fitted to the brake line first[most important] . The rubber is bent at 90degs to the brake line to ease it into the moulding.
The rubber fairing is rotated to form against the gear leg. I use Loctite 401 [super glue] and spot the surface of the rubber fairing that is glued to the trailing edge . Using 2in masking tape to hold in position . Then a strip of masking tape is applied vertically along the under surface of the gear leg and rubber fairing. Then using the nozzle of the loctite 401 flood the join on the upper surface of gear leg and the rubber fairing . Reapply 2 in masking tape to hold in position.
Wait 48 hours and remove masking tape . I reinstalled my brake clips and use Dow Corning 3145 RTV to fill the gap between the clip and rubber fairing .
ghostflyer

Re: Cessna brake line fairing

Post by ghostflyer »

There was a 8130-3 in the bag that came from Mc Farlane . I painted my fairing to match my gear leg . It’s only a minor mod and only a fairing also. but it holds my brake line in a more secure fashion. A 337 could cover it with a log book entry .There is no STC at the moment. I have now 2 orders to fit to Cessna 180 and a 185. You do not have to fit the brake clips but I did due to my environment.
Be very careful using loctite 401 as it’s super glue and I use acetone to unglue my fingers and toes. I had Sandles on my feet And a drop fell through and stuck my big toe to the sandle.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Curious, why wait 48 hours.

Cyanoacrylates (Super Glue) are nearly instant setting and full strength immediately. There are some variants of Cy that have a slower cure time but that is usually no more than a minute or so. Locktite 401 cures in 3 to 10 seconds according to Henkel's online data.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

For those 170 owners who use the jack pad that slips up the gear leg, how does the jack pad interact with the brake line fairing you are describing above?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I found areas that been sealed on the edges had quickly cured but internally on the join hadn’t and I inspected 24 hrs later some areas had cured but with some “wet” areas. but the next day all curing had taken place.
Jacking the leg is a problem but I have tried using a piece of thin aluminium shaped to the contour of the trailing edge of the gear leg and coated in Dow Corning 3145 and left to cure has been successfull in protecting the rubber fairing. . I put this on the leg where the metal jack pad will contact the leg and gently jack the leg. So far so good.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

170C wrote:For those 170 owners who use the jack pad that slips up the gear leg, how does the jack pad interact with the brake line fairing you are describing above?
From the photos on McFarlane, it looks like my method of clamping two 2x4s around the gear leg with threaded rod would work without distorting the rubber fairing.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne