Oratex Fabric Covering Processs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

melcessna

Oratex Fabric Covering Processs

Post by melcessna »

Anyone with experience here? Presently requires field approval. Appears to be cutting edge technology. Reviewing applications for my 1948; any comments appreciated. Thanks
Michael E. Lewis
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Oratex Fabric Covering Processs

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

No experience with Oratex but do have experience with trying to decide the covering system for a fabric airplane.

Who is doing the work?

This is important cause if your having someone do the work for you, they're only going to use the system THEY want to use, which in theory is the system they know best. And if they say they'll use Oratex but they've never used it before, well, you might want to consider having someone else do the work.

So if someone else is doing the work, you won't get to decide to use Oratex unless you find someone who specializes in using it.

So you are going to do the work and you think you'd like to use the "new kid on the block" system.

Nitrate and butyrate dope over cotton and for the last 60 years dacron polyester cloth (Ceconite) is a well known and trusted system. You may know it as Randolph as they where one of the largest suppliers of the material. There were others however. You can't go wrong with nitrate and butyrate system. People know and trust it.

In the early 60s a fellow EAA type named Stits came along and he no longer wanted to use the smelly nitrate and butyrate dope and the thinners. At first the system was experimental but eventually he got an STC and the Stits system started to be used on certified aircraft. Guess what, few trusted the new stuff. Aircraft covered with it had lower value. The Stits system was eventually sold and became Polyfiber. It took years and years for Polyfiber to become trusted and main stream as a nitrate and butyrate system.

Have any idea how many systems, the newest latest greatest thing, have come and gone since the 60s. There have been several. And the airplanes covered with these systems, what do you think happened the value? Blue River process is one that comes to mind.

It's well known that a nitrate and butyrate dope covering and Polyfiber covering can easily last 30 years with reasonable care. Airframes are actually expected to rot from underneath before the covering goes bad. How long in time has the oldest Oratex covering job lasted?

Don't get me wrong. Oratex is interesting. Its concept is born from modelers who have been using iron on coverings for years.

While I'd like to experiment with stuff on my plane, reality is I just can't afford to. I'd have to use a proven system. 15 years ago Oratex was not available but of the choices I had I chose Randolph Nitrate and Butyrate for my Cub. I never regretted my decision.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
melcessna

Post by melcessna »

Thanks
Michael E. Lewis
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

I’ve used a version of Oratex exclusively (produced by Lanitz Prena) called Oracover for R/C airplanes for decades. I’m not sure I’d bite on putting that finish on a 170 simply because I’m not convinced the finish would be the same level as a more traditional fabric job.

Stewart’s is great stuff and would be my first choice.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

As Ryan noted the Stewarts system is interesting. And when I say system it is just that. You must use covering material, glue and all paints and chemicals to include the final color coat, which is specified in the STC. This no matter what products you choose.

The Stewart process is water born which is not water based. The system is used over any Dacron polyester cloth regardless of the name stamped on it. It is in my mind the modern process. The modernization being the chemical make up of the paints and other products and the use of water to deliver the product to the covering. There really is no smell using this product. I've watched the entire process being done in a hanger next to work by a person who has never covered an airplane, assisted by an aviation youth group.

If I was covering a 170, or an airplane I was covering entirely rather than a patch panel repair, I'd look really really hard a Stewarts. There is a cost to it. But I think in the long run, it no more expensive than nitrate/butyrate or Polyfiber. The savings is time in the process and lack of smell to the process means you don't need such a specialized area to accomplish the work, makes it a much more viable option for the average airplane owner.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Byocum

Post by Byocum »

I researched the Oratex after I bought a M5 Maule that needed recovered, restored and it was STCD for the Maule and numerous others.
My wife talked me out of rebuilding the Maule and I traded it for My 170B. I think there was some articles on a Maule in their forum that was recovered. Plus's were it was super easy to repair and match. Went on just like all of our models did. Id like to try it out on something my self. I think it comes in two weights also. could be wrong there>