Scott 3200 "Grease retainer spacers"

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

prairiechicken

Scott 3200 "Grease retainer spacers"

Post by prairiechicken »

Hey all,
I suffered my first flat tailwheel tire the other day. Upon removal, disassembly, and cleaning, I noticed that the retainer spacers in each wheel half are oriented differently. This made me question which one is installed correctly. One is driven flush with the hub, the other is driven in against the bearing cup. I also measured the ID of the bores, the spacer that is flush accommodates the grease seal, whereas the ID is smaller on the other half, causing the retainer to fit inside the aluminum bore of the wheel, butting up against the spacer that is driven in against the cup. I would attach pictures, but I cant seem to figure out how to resize them to fit. If this has been discussed elsewhere, I apologize, but my searches turned up nothing. Thanks in advance!
Ty
Ty Richter
1712D
GAHorn

Re: Scott 3200 "Grease retainer spacers"

Post by GAHorn »

Are you writing about the bearing "seals" which are between the washers and the bearing cone?

Here's an assembly dwg that describes the assembly order. It may be that your assy is incomplete.

Zoom in to see the order of assembly.
Tailwheel Parts Illustration.pdf
(89.99 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
prairiechicken

Post by prairiechicken »

Mr. Horn,
The parts are all there, my confusion is due to the following: Item #3 (PN 1862) on one wheel half, is seated flush with the snout of the hub. On that one, item #2 (PN 1863) fits inside item #3, and seems to tightly seat. However, on the other wheel half, the ID of item #3 is smaller, so much that item #2 is the same diameter as item #3, (possibly slightly larger) making it so that the seal just loosely rides against the spacer. I would also note that is the half on which the spacer (#1862) is driven into the bore tight against the bearing cup.
Very long winded, sorry.
Ty
Ty Richter
1712D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

prairiechicken wrote:Mr. Horn,
The parts are all there, my confusion is due to the following: Item #3 (PN 1862) on one wheel half, is seated flush with the snout of the hub. On that one, item #2 (PN 1863) fits inside item #3, and seems to tightly seat. However, on the other wheel half, the ID of item #3 is smaller, so much that item #2 is the same diameter as item #3, (possibly slightly larger) making it so that the seal just loosely rides against the spacer. I would also note that is the half on which the spacer (#1862) is driven into the bore tight against the bearing cup.
Very long winded, sorry.
Ty
Perhaps you meant O.D.... and not I.D....??

A couple of things come to mind (without a picture of your issue).... Are you able to switch the right side parts with the left side parts and the problem follow the parts??? ...or does the problem remain on the right side..?

If the latter case exists...it may be that your wheel half on the right side is opened -up for whatever reason and it's ID is too large...

If the former case exists... then it sounds as if your bearing seal is the incorrect part or has been altered and should be replaced.

:?:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
prairiechicken

Post by prairiechicken »

Got it all squared away. One half appears to have been machined and repair sleeve driven in to accommodate the seal installation. The other half is just worn out so that it will no longer hold a seal. Looks like two replacement wheel halves are in my future. :( Thank you Mr. Horn for all of your help.
Ty
Ty Richter
1712D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Here are the pics which Ty sent regarding his tailwheel damage:
Attachments
OneHalfTW.jpg
2ndHalfTW.jpg