Frozen cables Control Cabin Heat

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Re: Frozen cables Control Cabin Heat

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Thank you for the informative posts.

There have been two (2) post citing "safety of flight" issues. Now that I know, I concur.

Apparently there needs to be some "educational" work to inform ALL owner/operators.

Prior owner truly told me just dress warmly and ignore it. So I ask what is instruction from the manufacturer?

An even bigger question now becomes why would competent A/P, IA 's never even mention the frozen cable?
Multiple decades of annual inspections and I and my mechanics have simply ignored a "safety of flight item"

Truly ignorance has no place in the cockpit.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

In the thread I created about a new training plane … I pointed out that the cabin air shut-off is a safety-of-flight issue.... as it was the only way to stop the exhaust fumes from entering the cabin on takeoff into weather that made an immediate return problematical.

I believe that many Inspectors overlook this important item on annual inspections and encourage everyone to add it to their preflight actions. Regular exercise of that valve is important and helpful to longevity for BOTH of you.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
pdb

Post by pdb »

B98D7E43-871B-43D6-B0B8-4C1545263C92.jpeg
Am I correct in thinking that the primary reason for the cabin air control is to prevent engine compartment gas from getting into the cockpit when either:

1) You have an engine fire or
2) You suspect a CO leak from a muffler.

Pushing the cabin heat in and pulling the cabin air out should isolate the cabin from engine compartment gases.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I realize this is an important issue. I nearly lost a good friend and his wife to cockpit smoke and fumes though in this case the smoke and fumes where coming from in the cockpit from the firewall blanket that was being cooked by a hot gas jet from a failed muffler in a Super Viking in the engine compartment.

But on the lighter side the other day I was flying my 170 and being about 35° out I kept feeling for that cold jet of air blasting my face. Wasn't coming from the air vent over head. Not from the area of the wing root and windshield. This jet was coming in from the front edge of my door around the (original) seal. If I wanted a cold jet of fresh cool air pointed right at my nose, I couldn't have built it better. I turned to my passenger and without complaint pointed out the fresh air feature my 170 door had.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

pdb wrote:
B98D7E43-871B-43D6-B0B8-4C1545263C92.jpeg
Am I correct in thinking that the primary reason for the cabin air control is to prevent engine compartment gas from getting into the cockpit when either:

1) You have an engine fire or
2) You suspect a CO leak from a muffler.

Pushing the cabin heat in and pulling the cabin air out should isolate the cabin from engine compartment gases.
You are thinking correctly.

Note that Cessna warns against pulling the cabin air shut-off with cabin heat selected.... Their warning is that the heater muff hoses may be overheated in such a fashion. I would like to point out that those hoses are relatively inexpensive considering the alternative should the pilot not be able to prevent exhaust fumes entering the cabin.
If you cannot shut the cabin heat off and you're getting too warm... Cessna likely presumes you will land the airplane and fix the cabin heat control.
However, if you cannot shut off cabin heat....and you have exhaust entering the cabin (as I did on that Training plane story).... then shutting the cabin air is the only alternative and damn the hoses.

(BTW, the hoses were not harmed at all when I later inspected them. The cabin heat valve was defective which was the reason it would not shut off.... the control cable worked fine.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)