Starter Problems

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4-Shipp

Starter Problems

Post by 4-Shipp »

I had noticed a very small oil leak around the starter a few hours ago. I planned on investigating fully next month at the annual. During the post-flight yesterday, I found the brass bushing around the pinion had slid out of the starter case and was actually sitting on the end of the shift lever. I was able to slide int back into the case by hand with only 1/16 or so still showing. There was also a significant amount of oil on the firewall and accessory section, although there was not a noticable decrease in oil level on the dip stick. Several questions:

Anyone had this happen to them?
Must the starter be removed to repair?
Can it be fixed or am I looking at a new starter?
Any gotchas to watch out for pulling the starter?

I'm almost excited about this - my first real maintenance snag! This sure beats gardening!

Thanks in advance!

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
N1277D

Starter

Post by N1277D »

My opinion - You should have the starter pulled and the bushing replaced. There is also an oil seal inside the housing that might have also failed and could be sliding free on the starter pinon shaft inside the accessory case. That bushing might have slipped free due to wear or a became free due to a crack in the housing. I believe you can obtain a complete overhauled starter with new bushings and seals in the 200 dollar US range. There is a company in Kentucky that overhauls them and does excellent work.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

El Reno Aviation is a reliable and trustworthy overhauler of starters/ adaptors and generators. (my 2 cents)
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Pulled the starter tonight and found excesive play in the clutch housing where the pinion passes through. NO apparent cracks, but the oil seal is obviously shot and the bushing worn beyond usefullness. Several items were noticably absent...no safety wire on the two top bolts, and no return spring on the starter shift lever. I have always made a point to fully return the starter pull know to the firewall and it wasn't until tonight I relaized it won't fully return just with the spring tension inside the pinion. Anyone have a suggestin on where to get the spring, or are they available from the starter folks?

So, off to Aero-Recip-the local engine shop-tomorrow, and if they can't help then I'll give Aertech of Loisville a call. The starter was overhauled by them 450 hours ago in 1997. Is this a bit early for a starter to go bad? Thakns.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
GAHorn

starter shift lever return

Post by GAHorn »

There is no "return spring" on the starter shift lever. The lever is returned to it's stowed position by internal springs in the pinion shaft.
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Page 19, para 4.d. of the Continental overhaul manual says" It is also important that the lever, whether operated by cable or wire, have a spring with sufficient tension to return the lever to its fully released position. when the lever is fully released there should be 1/16" clearance between the lower end of the lever and the clutch...". thiswould require an additional spring on the lever.

There is no part number for said spring in the Cessna parts manual. Which book takes precidence here? Thanks.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
4-Shipp

Starter repaired! Back in the air!

Post by 4-Shipp »

Just got home from flying after repairing the starter. A conversation with the technitian at Aerotech of Louisville determined all that was need was a new bushing and oil seal for the spindle. The oil seals were $4.50 - not bad - but the original Delco oilite bushing was $25. Both were very easy to press in using my favorite auto mechanic's press , and it took about an hour to get it reinstalled. I was able to fix several other minor snags under the cowl as well as give everything firewall forward a good cleaning. I even learned how to reintall the cowl all by myself without tearing anything up! I would recomend Aerotech of Louisville if you have starter problems. They were very helpfull and didn't try to push things I didn't need. Their website is http://www.aerotechlou.com. Starter is $174 and spindle is $155 if you should ever need one.
Bruce Shipp