Exhaust Leak

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Exhaust Leak

Post by nippaero »

I always get a small bit of exhaust leakage around the joint where the muffler attaches to the exhaust stack. The leak comes around the clamps and deposits white/brown/black soot in the area. From my reading it sounds like there is a small amount to be expected and it’s normal. Is there anything I could do to eliminate it? Too bad there is not some sort of wrap that could go around that area.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Re: Exhaust Leak

Post by GAHorn »

I pretty much stopped that leakage by wrapping the joint before installing the clamp with stainless-steel foil purchased from True Value's aviation (hobby) section. It's lasted for 5 years now.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Thanks George. That’s similar to what I was thinking could help. It wasn’t the kind with adhesive was it?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Fireplace gasket glue/seal under the clamps is also effective.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

nippaero wrote:Thanks George. That’s similar to what I was thinking could help. It wasn’t the kind with adhesive was it?
I'm presuming you are speaking of aluminum-tape such as painters use..? .... No..that wouldn't stand up to the heat. The stainless-steel foil works great. I used only one & one/half wrap of it to allow the clamps to still fit. It comes 12" wide X 2' Long, rolled up into a clear, plastic tube. Hobby shops may also carry it, but I found it at the local hardware.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

I use "muffler tape" that you can buy at your local auto parts store. Only two tight wraps before you put the clamp on, and it sort of "melts" into a leak-proof seal.

Joe
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A dozen years or so ago I also used muffler tape. But I found it did not last long and was difficult to clean-up when the parts were later disassembled. Brand selected may have something to do with that experience. (I used "Wagner" red muffler tape, found at AutoZone. The stainless steel foil is indestructible.)