axle shims

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Buckeyejim

axle shims

Post by Buckeyejim »

In regard to the aluminum shims that fit between the axle and the landing gear, almost all the ones I've run across correct both camber and toe-in.
It's very rare that the set of corrections you need correspond to the corrections available on the shims I've seen. Can somebody tell me why Cessna
did this? It would seem more logical to separate the two categories, and have one set of shims that correct camber and another that correct toe-in.
GAHorn

Re: axle shims

Post by GAHorn »

Buckeyejim wrote:...Can somebody tell me why Cessna
did this? It would seem more logical to separate the two categories, and have one set of shims that correct camber and another that correct toe-in.
If the second suggestion were followed it would require more shims than necessary for most aircraft.... however, not even Cessna can tell us why the choices made 60 years ago were determined. Often they contact us (TIC170A) for information they forgot or documentation they destroyed or lost. Remember, they quit making single engine airplanes in 1986 and when they re-started mfr'g they did so in an entirely new location with different workers. I was personally informed by Cessna Rep that some documentation was deliberately destroyed to rid the company of certain liabilities. The veracity of that comment/reason has not otherwise been confirmed but it is certain that much documentation is not available for these airplanes. Even the FAA current policy recommends to owners of classic aircraft join or solicit information from "type clubs" as the most reliable sources of data.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

You can buy camber only, or toe only shims from Grove Aircraft, El Cajon, CA. 619-562-1268
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
Buckeyejim

Post by Buckeyejim »

Yes, I've bought some of those Grove shims. Seems like Cessna should have followed that path back when.
It's very unusual that the camber and toe-in shim requirements for a particular plane are a pair that matches a
Cessna shim with the same pair of corrections, and I'm just curious as to why Cessna chose to produce shims that combine
camber and toe-in corrections when those would rarely work.
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

Buckeyejim wrote: I'm just curious as to why Cessna chose to produce shims that combine
Cessna built over 5000 of these planes. I would imagine the shims worked for them.

DEM
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

flyboy122 wrote:
Buckeyejim wrote: I'm just curious as to why Cessna chose to produce shims that combine
Cessna built over 5000 of these planes. I would imagine the shims worked for them.

DEM
According to Answers dot com Cessna built over 60,000 170/172/182 aircraft which used these shims.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)