Franklin Engines

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jerryt

Franklin Engines

Post by jerryt »

Does anyone know about a source for Franklin Engines and/or parts?

Several years ago, at the Carolina Convention, I flew with a guy that had a Franklin in his 170. He said he had "a warehouse full of Franklin Engines and parts" I don't recall his name, but I think he was from the Atlanta, GA area. I would like to contact him.

A little background: I have just returned from the National Championship Air Races in Reno, NV. Spoke with a guy there that has a Franklin in his Maule. He needs some parts or a new engine. I would like to help him, if possible. He says the Franklin Engine is not supported in the Western U.S.

Jerry Terlisner
208 859-7959
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Franklin Engines

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jerry, I know of the guy you speak as I meet him once at Sun N Fun but it's been years. Bruce Knowne is his name. Beside the Franklin what drew me to speak to Bruce was he had a B model elevator on his A model.

Here is some info on Bruce from 2000. If it is correct I'd be surprised if he could help. In 2000 the date of the info it says he's retired 35 years, that is 18 years ago. In the unlikely even he retired when he was 40 years old, he'd be 93 today.

Note I had his name spelled with an e on the end as does other resources. This info does not. Good luck finding parts. Franklin people say there are lots of parts. We here this all the time. You may need a secret decoder ring to find them however.

Bruce Kown
Classic Aire
Cartersville, GA
<c.aire@mindspring.com>
770-386-7435

Bruce Kown is retired (35 yrs) from
Lockheed Martin. Although primarily doing
STC’ed installs of Franklin engines in
Cessna’s, he is supporting a lot of Stinson
requests. Overhauls on 180 and 220
Franklins, has factory tooling and the
experience. Added 05/14/00.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

There is a lady located in Texas who supposedly has access to Franklin parts. Unfortunately I don't have her contact information. Possibly some other member may see this post and have that information available. She set up a booth for a couple of years at 170 member Dave Mason's Reklaw flyin at Reklaw, TX. You might contact Dave to see if he has any contact information. Dave or Marcia can be contacted at 936-369-4362.
Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
beaverbill

Post by beaverbill »

There is a Susan Prall of Jewett, TX, who advertises Franklin parts and service on the big aviation sales website. 903-626-5115. I have no experience with this person myself. I've just seen the ads. I have flown a '52 B model with the 165 Franklin. Good airplane. I thought it was interesting that the engine conversion on that particular plane was done when the airplane was only a few months old. The owner at the time must have specifically wanted the Franklin.