Boom Beam HID for C100 series

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Boom Beam HID for C100 series

Post by MoonlightVFR »

It is highly desirable but it is not going to happen.

I have suffered from poor lighting on vehicles for decades. 1946 Cushman Scooter, idling at stop light - 8- 10 feet beam.

Then rather sophisticated Infinity Q45 1994- I out drove the lighting at 70 MPH. Reminded me of a 1949 Ford.

Thank you flyboy122 for post on Lopresi Boom Beam.

He knows the true value of the boom Beam - I saw a price for a corp jet - 29,500 $$ for just HID lighting ! My interest dropped same as my Jaw!

I would pay $ 600.00 MAX - not a penny more.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
flyboy122

Re: Boom Beam HID for C100 series

Post by flyboy122 »

Grady,

Back years ago when I sold them $600 was the ballpark price for single engine Piper or Cessna (depends on the installation, number of lights, etc...) You may want to call them up and see what it is today. Yeah, their jet prices are many times that, but those installations are completely different. I visited them last winter and they showed me the new light they did for a Gulfstream. Starts with a 500lb chunk of billet that gets machined down into profile of the wing leading edge, and 3 or 4 HID's mount into it. Incredible! I can't remember the cost, but you could probably buy a 170 for it. Sounds ridiculous, but if you were landing a $60m jet on some awful rainy night with some guy who employs 1000's of people in the back, it might not be that expensive after all.

DEM
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Thank you Flyboy122

Do you know of any C170 owner/operator that has HID lighting correctly installed in wing?

I would certainly like to talk to them.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

HID has been superceeded by LED,s. Our 182 which is just under 3 years old had HID. This came from the factory like this . The landing /taxi lights were really good BUT we had this low back ground hiss in the radios. It seemed to be only there when no one was talking . Numerous checks and fault finding went on but the issue wasn’t big enough to spend big time on it. Then on a charter the aircraft went through a tropical down power. Water had got in ,the lights were toast . A ballast was history also. Found a source of reasonable priced LED,s [from this forum] ,fitted to the 182 . I haven’t flown the 182 yet but others haven’t complained about the lights but at the same time I fitted the LED,s [ with Weg Wag features] to my 170 and yesterday flew in hellish conditions and lights worked great. The new Boeing 737,s have LED,s that turn with the tiller . No more turn off lights . But there is now the laser photon lights ,they are unbelievable but we will have to wait at least 10 years for them to,be on the open market.
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

That does it. I no longer desire the HID lighting upgrade.

Ghost I understand your factory 182 w HID has been changed to LED because of water infiltration, lamps and ballast are toast.

I am going to the LEDs from company with cutie name. Wig Wag switch too.

LEDs /Wig Wag will be for busy airspace, "Here I am", Not night flight.

Regards
gradyb, '54 B N2890C