Trickle Chargers

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MoonlightVFR

Trickle Chargers

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Technology is changing our tools.
I am learning. Albeit slowly.
From our forum I think I hear "toss old school auto chargers out of your hanger"
Concorde wants to sell you an Aircraft Batt AND a Spl Charger

I had occasion to purchase a new trickle charger from HFT - Fully automatic microprocessor controlled
Battery Charger / Maintainer. VIKING 63350. Price 31.00. for lead acid Batt . - Claims/ Promise is AGM, GEL, Deep Cycle, Standard.

Now for an allied automotive comment. Hope I am not too far off topic.
I needed a batt for relatively new RAM Truck - I have been installing new batt in my driveway for over 50 years. Not this time. Only source was New car dealer ..

I am being told by O'Reilly Auto Parts that if I entirely remove batt in my driveway, purchase their replacement battery and install traditionally in my driveway that the car WILL NOT START. You have interrupted the circuit and it must be reprogrammed by a trained professional.
I view this as a forced play by automotive mfgs to force me back into their automotive dealership.

Will this effect aviation battery sales in the future?
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Re: Trickle Chargers

Post by GAHorn »

Is this because of the new engine-torque boost system that requires a special lithium battery? (I understand certain new Ram engines have a built-in electric-boost/alternator which helps the engine conserve fuel in a hybrid-drive.)

Ram " eTorque employs a combination starter/generator/motor (SGM) in place of the engine’s alternator. The SGM operates as an alternator does, but also charges an onboard 48-volt battery during braking and deceleration. That stored energy is harnessed by the SGM during acceleration, providing supplemental power when needed."
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)