BC alternator

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rickyricky2

BC alternator

Post by rickyricky2 »

Hi All
Has anyone tried to get a field approval for a BC 433-H 30 amp alternator?
I bought a C145-2 rebuilt engine for my 170B and it cam on it. It only weighs 4 pounds and it starts charging at 950 rpms.

Thanks
Dick Bryant
54 170B
n2582d

Re: BC alternator

Post by n2582d »

Dick,
See this thread.
Gary
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I notice that STC SA02283AK mentioned in the thread Gary referenced is held by a third party; I couldn't find any reference to an STC on the B&C website. My personal interpretation of the STC (which doesn't mean squat in the final analysis :wink:) is that it only covers aircraft on the Approved Model List that ALSO have one of the engine models listed in the STC. In other words, an Aeronca Sedan with an O-300A would be eligible, while an Aeronca Sedan with a Lycoming would not (yes, call me Captain Obvious, but I'm just illustrating a point). Since 170s are not mentioned in the AML, I would say they are not eligible under this STC.

That said, you could contact the STC holder and ask them what it would take to include 170s on their AML, or contact your local FSDO and ask what it would take for a field approval. It may not be as hard as you think. I know that the East Michigan FSDO has approved several items for type certificated aircraft on our field that are normally thought of as for the amateur-built market, examples being solid aluminum Grove axles, and Andair fuel valves.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

cessna170bdriver wrote:I notice that STC SA02283AK mentioned in the thread Gary referenced is held by a third party; I couldn't find any reference to an STC on the B&C website. My personal interpretation of the STC (which doesn't mean squat in the final analysis :wink:) is that it only covers aircraft on the Approved Model List that ALSO have one of the engine models listed in the STC. In other words, an Aeronca Sedan with an O-300A would be eligible, while an Aeronca Sedan with a Lycoming would not (yes, call me Captain Obvious, but I'm just illustrating a point). Since 170s are not mentioned in the AML, I would say they are not eligible under this STC. ...
Yes, it would be worth seeing if your IA or FSDO agrees with this.
Gary
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

n2582d wrote: Yes, it would be worth seeing if your IA or FSDO agrees with this.
They probably would, since I’ve never seen our FSDO deny anything reasonable. Moot point for me personally though, since I’ve been 100% happy with my Jasco for the last 28 years.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne