MT Ultra performance

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MT Ultra performance

Post by 58172 »

I know this has been kicked around a bit. But,,, the website shows 16mph increase in speed over a Hartzell. Has anybody replaced a Hartzell with an MT on 170 with the 0-360 ? What kind of increase did you really see ? A friend of mine put a MT on his Maule on everything they claim is real close, on his he gained about 3 or 4.
Just seems to me that 16 mph increase on the same airframe is a lot ? Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks
Kirk
DaveF

Re: MT Ultra performance

Post by DaveF »

Depends which Hartzell you’re talking about. I swapped my 74” C2YK for an MT MTV-15-B/210-58 two-blade. I never did speed checks before or after, so I don’t know if I gained top speed. I cruise about 115mph on about 8.8gph. I could definitely hit 130 if I wanted to burn more gas.

I also gained fuel efficiency. I used to cruise at 20” and 2350, but the MT has no yellow arc, so I now cruise at 2200 and 22” or full throttle. The lower rpm appears to save about 1gph at the same speed, or adds about 10mph on the same fuel. I’m not a test pilot, those are just what I’ve observed.

That said, the real benefit is increased rate of climb and high DA performance. That’s something I use on every flight.