LED upgrade landing light

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

MT_Don

LED upgrade landing light

Post by MT_Don »

HI All,
I found no thread on the LED upgrade for landing lights. A&S has a NAVSTROBE model, works on 14 & 28V, plugs right in, $150. Whelen has models also in the $227 range. Thanks, Don :wink:
MT_Don

Re: LED upgrade landing light

Post by MT_Don »

Anyone tried these or another?
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

There was quite the thread on this subject not too long ago (copied below) that eventually talked about brands. One brand that sounded odd, but relatively inexpensive, was from GoodiesForPilots at about $60 each for a landing light and a taxi light. I purchased both for 62C and have been very satisfied with them.

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... 24&t=13817
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
MT_Don

Post by MT_Don »

Thank you Brian!
This was most helpful. Mine is a C-170, one of the 727 beginning models, so I have only the retractable landing light, burned out as I discovered today. :) Don
VernH

Post by VernH »

I ordered mine form Goodies for Pilots as well. I have been very happy with them. I don't fly much at night. Mine are on all the time because of traffic. 53C has a landing and taxi bulb on the same switch.
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Thank you gents for your input on LED lights . I have just received my package from goodies for pilots and will fit them on my return home . I also purchased the wig wag feature as the air space is getting more congested each day and being seen is very important. The legality area is very grey but confident I will get it through.
MT_Don

Post by MT_Don »

Thanks for the info. I got my light, and will install it tomorrow. Looks great from Goodies for Pilots! Don
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

I have the Goodies for Pilots with the Wig-Wag feature as well...very happy with them
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Well I installed the goodiesforpilots today with the wig wag feature . Switched on both and nothing . Toggled the switches up and down , nothing . My multi meter has flat batteries . What a day . So checked the polarity and I think I got it right .but the bulbs do not have polarity marked on the back of them . Any suggestions . Tomorrow is a new day so will have a clear head on the matter.
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

make sure you have a good ground at the lights
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

That was the first thing I went for [ground]. Both lights have a seperate circuit and the ground is the main spar. So I will play with my multi meter and see what’s happening .

Well things have progressed . Firstly a new multi meter was purchased. Then the polarity of each light was checked and found its not marked at all on the back of the light. So wiring then refitted correctly and then it was noticed the terminal lug when screwed down ,while contacting the lug it also was contacting the body of the light . This could cause a short when the paint was pieced by the lug with a little vibration. So after fittment ,the lug is bent upwards of 90deg giving clearance to the light body .
They work brilliantly and the wig wag feature is very effective .
Andre_C

Post by Andre_C »

So I just installed the goodies for pilots taxi light and I have a weird problem. When I turn on my light switch to the taxi light position it comes on. But when I switch to the landing light position, the taxi light goes out and the landing light comes on. Usually they both stay on when the switch is pulled out to the landing light position. Any ideas?

I figure it’s just a bad switch.
1953 C170B N3276A
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

This sounds like circuit control issue . I was under the impression you land with both lights on . Having a double pole switch could produce issues . I would be fitting 2 switches independent of each other . The polarity of each light has to be determined correctly also . Some of the very early light switches[1949 models] when in the off position , the component side of the positive is switched to earth .
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Has anyone who has installed the goodiesforpilots LED landing and/or taxi lights experienced any RF interference issues? I ask because I see that many Van’s builders use shielded wire with LED lights.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Miles - I haven't had any issue since installing both. I run both my taxi and landing lights continuously when flying.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716