Tail wheel spring mounting bracket

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ghostflyer

Tail wheel spring mounting bracket

Post by ghostflyer »

Presently I have p/n 0512125-1 bracket and made of steel ,so the question is does the bracket p/n 0512000-75 have to be retro fitted . Was it a AD back in ancient times. My bracket is in good condition but it is slightly different from the drawing .
So what year did they change this bracket on the production line .
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Tail wheel spring mounting bracket

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

No AD. Later part superseded old. New design used on serial 20806 and on.

Really I wonder about upgrading. One I'm not sure how the old one cracked. In other words how badly? Did it render the aircraft immediately unairworthy? We've seen plenty of cracking of the new assembly in the corners and top plate. What makes the new plate better? Does it crack better?

Given the availability of the old bracket, and the fact it may be replaced with less work than the new, it may be just as good in the long run as the new design. Wondering minds.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Re: Tail wheel spring mounting bracket

Post by GAHorn »

The old bracket, being dissimilar metal, was subject to corrosion, and it had small "purchase" on the tailcone so it caused cracking of the fuselage around the mounting. (Lots of stress transmitted to a small area.) I've seen several that displayed both problems.

I'd not change a steel box bracket until it showed problems tho'.

The cracking Bruce mentions is on the bracket itself (which can be replaced easier/cheaper than the entire change-over)...not the fuselage...which can present additional expense to repair ...then still have to perform the aluminum bracket installation.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)