Original metal wheel pant value

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

WWhunter

Original metal wheel pant value

Post by WWhunter »

I am curious what a set or original wheels pants is worth. I searched the site and saw some fairly high prices quoted!
These are the original metal ones and I don't think there are any patches on them. When I looked at them, they were very nice and freshly painted.
c170b53

Re: Original metal wheel pant value

Post by c170b53 »

What I think: Like everything it depends on how you perceive the condition of the parts and how much you need them. Wheel pants are a bonus, so they fall out of the must have to fly again category of parts. But since they complete the look of a 170, if they are polished and are free from imperfections then I would say they'll be pricey and desirable for an owner of a pristine machine. I'd guess 1200-1500 for a nice set. If the set you are looking at are painted then I would think they would not command the same amount of AMU's. Wheel pants are subjected to various perils; impact damage, FOD and metal fatigue, so finding a good set is tough, using them and keeping them perfect, maybe tougher. At the bottom of the spectrum; my pants have quite a few repairs, and a few ugly ones but they would do the job of saving gas. Not sure what they are worth but I'll be keeping them for a push towards the RAT cat awards.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

c170b53 wrote: ... I'd guess 1200-1500 for a nice set. ...
My airplane came from the factory with crosswind landing gear, so it’s never had wheel pants. About 10-15 years ago I offered a guy $1200 for a set of relatively nice original ones and didn’t even get a reply. I think that set eventually sold for about $2000. My tires continue to ride out in the breeze.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
WWhunter

Post by WWhunter »

Thanks guys! I saw prices anywhere from $1,000 up to $5,000 in my search for a valuation on a set. Pretty big spread in cost!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I hope to attend Cody and bring a set of pants with me but no backing plates .these are painted in zinc chromate only . So if you are interested let us know .[ this is not a advertisement only a intention ] but contact me if you want photos and other information