AD Compliance Sheet

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

AD Compliance Sheet

Post by nippaero »

I'm spending some time organizing my records and trying to come up with a workable AD compliance sheet. Here is what I have so far. Am I missing anything that would apply to the 170B or anything else you might add?
Attachments
AD COMPLIANCE RECORD.pdf
(349.44 KiB) Downloaded 885 times
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
gfeher

Re: AD Compliance Sheet

Post by gfeher »

Nippaero, I just sent you a PM.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The last AD List I worked thru was on the '62 C-172 which we acquired to train a family member. That airplane has so much in common with 170's that it might be of interest in this thread. Notice that a lot of AD's are applicable to accessories that may not at first grab your attention...but are nonetheless of importance to 170 owners. The Brackett Air Filter AD (96-09-06, Checks the gasket integrity and is N/A if the later frame has a "lip" to prevent gasket slippage)... although now long-past history, is an example of an AD that should still be included in the list and signed-off as Complied or Not-Applicable...whichever applies. Just because it was signed off ten years ago... does not mean that someone didn't buy a filter assy from a salvage yard and install it when no one was checking old AD's, for example. (It's a Catch-22 example for parts bought from salvage.)

Anyway, it takes time to run an AD list and keep it updated each year, ... an oft-forgotten/dis-respected task of an IA that sometimes surprises owners when they get this years Annual Insp/Invoice that needs to pay the IA for his time. An owner can sometimes save real money if the owner keeps the AD list updated for the IA's Annual Insp, ... and it's always seen by a new inspector as evidence of an owner's diligence toward maintenance....(can help keep the costs down.)

It's always a good idea to print-out a copy of each AD and keep in the records for review and to support any past sign-offs. (The one applicable to AmeriKing ELTs (2017-16-01) was not previously reviewed by the former owner...is an example found during the prebuy/annual. In-fact, the ELT installation did not even meet the Mfr's or FAA installation instructions as it did not include a required cockpit-remote RCPI. When I located the installing AP/IA he had little recollection of his installation 20 years ago. Finding the obsolete part and correcting the installation became one of the challenges of the pre-buy/annual, ...otherwise a new ELT was in order.)

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... irectives/

Here's the one used on the 172 which may be helpful (be sure to add 96-09-06 added after this file was created):
ADNotesList2018.pdf
(8.38 MiB) Downloaded 814 times
Now... if you go to the FAA website linked above... and if you search for ADs applicable to "Cessna 170"... you will find NONE LISTED. This is because the FAA website now recognizes that Cessna's Type Certificate is now owned by TEXTRON. You must search for TEXTRON 170.

Here's the listing that is returned:

48-43-02 (Dated 1948)Continental C-145-2 Engines
54-02-02 (Dated 1954) Wheel Skis
2011-10-09 6/17/2011 Seat Rails and Roller Housing Inspections
2006-12-07 7/11/2006 ECi cylinder assemblies
2006-03-08 3/10/2006 Vacuum pumps
2005-01-19 2/23/2005 Mode S transponders
2004-19-01 11/1/2004 Upper shoulder harness adjusters
98-21-21 R1 5/1/2000 Electric Inflatable Door Seals
99-27-02 1/21/2000 Fuel Selector Valves
96-12-22 7/31/1996 Full Flow Engine Oil Adapter
96-09-06 6/7/1996 Air Filter Assemblies
79-10-14 R1 5/30/1988 Fuel Tank Venting
82-07-02 4/8/1982 Engine Crankcase Breather
81-15-03 7/20/1981Engine Inlet Air Filters
79-08-03 6/6/1979 Electrical System
74-06-02 3/18/1974 AVCON Mufflers
73-17-01 8/16/1973 Fuel Transfer Pump Placard
69-15-03 8/20/1969 Muffler Assemblies

Notice that not even the FAA website listing of potentially-applicable ADs is not complete. One needs to also consider added equipment and STCs and ohter modifications made to YOUR airframe/engine/propeller/avionic/etc and research each of those appliances. (They miss the ELT AD note, for example among many others.)

Hope this helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Gene. I sent you a PM.

George,
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It’s very helpful as I am trying to keep my records up to date.

I noticed that many of the AD’s listed were not applicable but still listed as N/A and signed off. Would you consider that good practice or just leave them out of the log completely?
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

nippaero wrote:Gene. I sent you a PM.

George,
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It’s very helpful as I am trying to keep my records up to date.

I noticed that many of the AD’s listed were not applicable but still listed as N/A and signed off. Would you consider that good practice or just leave them out of the log completely?
I like to include them if the original AD indicates they "may" apply to the airframe/appliance. Here's why: It saves time for future inspectors who may otherwise have to look up and re-read the original AD to see if it applies. If the AD-List already addresses it as "N/A"...then that one can be skipped and the time not lost.
A perfect example is in the list I posted.... I had to look up the ELT AD which had never previously been addressed with this airplane. Then I had to decide how I wished to address it... Spend several hundred dollars on a different ELT system ...or test this one to see if it'd pass for another year. (You might recall a few months back when I queried the opinions here regarding upgrades on ELTs. I was already "in the hole" money-wise on this particular airplane so I decided that, if the present ELT passed the test/inspection...to keep it another year and upgrade at next Annual.)

Another example is the Brackett Air Filter. Since it had not been previously included in the existing list...therefore no record of the AD having been addressed.... I had to download, read, and inspect-again an accessory which was already in compliance. It would have been nice if that AD had already been signed off as "P/C/W" and "N/A" due to superceded PN installed".

In other words, if potential ADs are not mentioned/addressed in the AD-List... then the issue has to be repeatedly re-visited every year.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Mike,
You might check out this thread in the Maintenance Library for a couple more AD's.

George,
As Ricardo would say to Lucy, "you got some 'splaining to do." How is it that you sign off AD 2017-16-01 as an "Owner"?
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
While you are responsible as the owner/operator to maintain proper records, it's not within your purview as an owner to make those maintenance entries. This is from AC 39-7D which covers Airworthiness Directives:
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
AC 43-9C is an Advisory Circular about Maintenance Records. It describes how pilots should record Preventative maintenance that they have done. There are probably others but the only AD I can think of that a pilot is allowed to comply with is the Bendix ignition check of AD 76-07-12. Now changing a battery on a portable ELT is considered "preventative maintenance" by the FAA so a pilot (but not owner) can do that. But complying with AD 2017-16-01 is not preventative maintenance. This must be done by a certificated mechanic or repair station. The AD has you follow directions in Ameri-King's Installation and Operation Manual. That manual, in Appendix B, quotes AC 91-44A, paragraph 8.A:
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

To answer your question Gary... I didn't.
That posted-copy was a working-copy of the AD List produced by the previous owner of the airplane... an airplane which I submitted to my IA for Pre-buy/Annual Inspection.... I merely used that outdated list as a basis to complete some preliminary research for him and that note was submitted for his shop's information. He signed the accomplishment-work in the logs and I produced a new AD List after he completed the inspection. { edit:His actual log entry states "AmeriKing 450 ELT SN476524 tested per AD 2017-16-01 and FAR 91.207(d) and found normal ops. New batteries installed expiry dated 2/2024. Next ELT test due 4/1/2019." After a looong list of other work he signed off on the annual with his cert. no.}
( I submitted this early copy as an illustration of how an AD List might include some ADs which were/are commonly overlooked. Good catch ... if it was the official record of work accomplished.)

Even so, an AD List is a record of compliance and not necessarily a record of the work performed. An AD requiring detailed engine disassembly/reassembly requires a certificated repairman to perform and sign-off the work, but that work and compliance may be (and I argue that should be) included in the so-called "logbooks" and signed by the certificated repairman who performed that work. But an AD List which maintains a listing/record of all the ADs and how they were accomplished does not have to be signed by certificated persons at all. Such a list can be kept by a non-certificated, even a non-pilot owner. (It's just that most owners do not get/stay that involved in their aircraft mx and in a simplistic approach hope their IA does it correctly.)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Thanks go to everyone who contributed info on this topic. I just did the annual on my 170 and I was able to pull up all the AD info for the IA.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Canadian logbooks have a separate section where all A.D's are listed and signed for on every annual or inspection cycle depending on the inspection program for that aircraft. I just thought American books would be the same. Got to love the english, for the entries; ( in Canada) the books are kept by the owner but the MX records are kept and signed for by the person signing the books. There's lots of keeping going on! :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS