Replacement ELT Antenna

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

brian.olson

Replacement ELT Antenna

Post by brian.olson »

My ELT antenna snapped off mid-flight yesterday for unknown reasons. As far as I can tell via logs, I have a Narco ELT-10 and the antenna, after comparing to (albiet old) install instructions found on the web, appears original.

Two questions:

1. Is there a recommended or usual-and-customary replacement antenna generally available for this unit, and what would that be? I'm finding limited cross-reference into on web searches;
2. I'm having difficulty getting onto my shop's calendar to get this replaced. I assume this is a A&P-only type of a replacement, and not something a pilot-owner can do - correct?

Thanks for the guidance and input -
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Replacement ELT Antenna

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Brian,

I went on the web and found a Narco ELt 10 manual.
ELT10-Manual.pdf
(645.91 KiB) Downloaded 713 times
In it you will find the Narco part numbers for antennas which isn't likely to do you any good as Narco is long out of business. But below that are listed optional antennas that you might be able to find. Certainly you should be able to find an equivalent to one of them.
Capture.JPG
Installing or replacing an installed antenna is not one of those things allowed of a pilot. The test required of the ELT after the installation is not a test a pilot can perform.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
N2625U

Post by N2625U »

A few years ago I updated my ELT to a 406. I've got a Narco ELT 10 with mount is anyone is interested the battery is long out of date. Pay for shipping. Pics on request.
Keep your speed up, Blackhawk on final behind you.
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Just closing out this thread for the purposes of education.

It was a pretty simple process for the A&P to drop in a replacement antenna. The antenna was $85 from Aircraft Spruce (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/a ... ckkey=5356). He had to enlarge the hole to .5" in the airplane skin and install a BNC connector on the end of the coax antenna cable. He tested operation of the ELT according to standard process at the end. 45-ish minutes later everything was wrapped up.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

Up here in Alaska they do not launch on a 121.5 ELT signal unless someone calls in and says an aircraft is overdue. I got this info from the Alaska Air Guard. they launch immediately on a 406 signal and the search area is half a kilometer in one sweep instead of 40 freaking square miles in multiple sweeps.
It's not done till it's overdone