toe-in

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Buckeyejim

toe-in

Post by Buckeyejim »

Hi all -
I just bought a 1950 170A and am trying a post for the first time. I have a question about wheel
alignment. I understand the goal is zero camber and zero toe in with the plane loaded and on greased plates.
I'm wondering is it OK to do this with the tail wheel on the floor or should it be done with the fuselage level?
Would there be much difference in wheel alignment between the two configurations? Any help will be much
appreciated.

Jim
GAHorn

Re: toe-in

Post by GAHorn »

You can do it with the tailwheel down (3-point position). You can also obltain excellent results by using two heavy-duty plastic garbage bags, one laid upon the other, instead of greased plates. You will watch for the bags to twist against each other (or not). Hope this helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

A great big welcome to the forum, Jim, and to 170 ownership! Looking forward to hearing about your aircraft, where you are based, etc.

Most Kind Regards -

Brian
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
VernH

Post by VernH »

Welcome aboard Jim. I checked mine with the tail down, first, with the garbage bag as mentioned above and later with grease plates. I found the grease plates released the tension better than the bags did and that's what I recommend. If the plane is less than gross weight there will probably be some toe-in and some negative camber. There should never be toe-out. These airplanes can be really rude on the runway when the gear alignment is wrong. Not off a little, WRONG!!
Fly safe!

Vern
1950 C-170A N5453C sn 19487
Based in Pensacola, FL. 82J