The journey begins. 170B project.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

c170b53

Re: The journey begins. 170B project.

Post by c170b53 »

Sorry my mistake, George had vertical stabs
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Kevin Pearce

Post by Kevin Pearce »

If you need a replacement horizontal stabilator Robert Brown has some on Facebook as well as many other parts.
Great to follow your project, very interesting.
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

I'm hoping I won't need one. Got the center section skin off and of course it'll need replacement. But so far, the spars look great!!! Thanks to gravity.....the urine only effected the lower skins and doesn't look like migrated to the spar itself. Gonna clean it up tmro.
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Horizontal stabilizer center section lower skin off. Skin is toast but spars look good. Will clean up tmro and asses.
Attachments
IMG_0343.JPG
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Drilled off the rivets into the next bay to clean out the mess and asses condition. It looks horrible...... but really not that bad once cleaned up. All salvageable. Will post pics of it cleaned up soon.
Attachments
IMG_0344.JPG
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

When my plane sat for 6 months waiting for time to repair, the darn little birds moved into the horizontal stab. Perfect swallow condo. thank goodness the mice never found it. :D
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

c170b53 wrote:Thanks Bruce I'll try to remember this, I knew that it was a renaming but thought that the purists would know the minutiae of the changes and the corresponding dates. So safe to say only the later B models would have had the lever and prop, unless the engine was subbed later in the aircraft's life like mine was.
No Jim. Lots of C-145-2H engines came on 170A models.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

OMG , I have seen things similar but never anything as bad as that . Hope you got the aircraft at the right price .however some of the parts in the horizontal stab can be made very easily so,do not despair . I “helped” in making the main spar of my horizontal stab. It works and I know it’s not cracked . But nailing the upper or lower skins after one skin is attached is a
Job and a half. I have a extra inspection panel on the lower surface due to access issues. My biggest problems was mud hornets and their nests. Some didn’t want to leave and after washing it out with a fire hose and coming back next weekend to work on the wings they had started to rebuild again. So,we sprayed with surface insect repellent spray every where .
We used toilet cleaning brushes to get into places and crannies . It was quite funny when at the cashier paying for 8 toilet brushes , the cashier made a remark that we must like clean toilets . The hard plastic brushes removed the mud residue and helped clean up the aluminum surface and spread the Aldine 1200 around .
U
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Sooooo, the lever and the prop could be found on A's and B''s ?
Nice drill work Jaz
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Thanks Arash. I hope I can give it the second life it deserves. The bonus is maybe, Just maybe, there's someone who has a project that needs some love and my endeavor will motivate then to take the next step and blow the dust off the tools and get started again. I'll admit....I have a bit of a Lazerus complex. I love taking dead stuff and bringing it back to life! Lol. It's like Christmas to me when I uncover a problem and my mind races to the many ways to fix it!! I absolutely love sheet metal work and rebuilding engines. Remaking and rewiring panels is right up there too. I'll start on the damaged wingtip next. Easy fix, but again.....concerned about the extent of the bird/mouse damage. Pics coming soon.
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

The madness continues!! MGM should consult with me if they ever decide to do a remake of the Wizard of Oz!! I've got PLENTY of straw to make all the scarecrows they wish!! Lol. This planes only visible physical damage was the right wingtip. It was caught in a windstorm and the left tie down snapped which allowed the right wingtip to hit the ground. This is the bottom of the wing after removing the lower skin. Again.....amazingly, there is no spar damage from the nesting. Only the stringers and aileron spar will need replacement.
Attachments
IMG_0346.JPG
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Damaged skin, aileron spar removed. I have a donor wing that will supply the replacement stringers. I will have to make the aileron spar and skins from flat stock.
Attachments
IMG_0347.JPG
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

How is the project progressing?

Inquiring minds...
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
Karl Towle

Post by Karl Towle »

It might be worth pointing out that if you get the wing(s) very far apart, you'll want to have it/them mounted in a jig for reassembly to get the twist exactly right. The project plane I bought 11 years ago had a heavy left wing that could not be corrected with rigging. Turned out the wings had different twists to them. In my case, I chose replacement instead of costly rebuild of both wings.
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Still pulling out hay bails!!! Had to emprovise special tools to get way back in the wings!!
Attachments
IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG