The journey begins. 170B project.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jazasaguma

Re: The journey begins. 170B project.

Post by Jazasaguma »

Still in the disassembly and assesment mode. Got the yokes and panel taken out. No big surprises here. Just the usual clean up, paint, re-wire, etc....
Attachments
IMG_0355.JPG
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Yoke tubes will need to be re-chromed. I have heard in the past that the re-chroming process on 4130 chrom-moly steel makes it weaker due to "hydrogen embrittlement". Can anybody confirm or deny any truth to that? The handles themselves will be painted gray, same as the interior.
Attachments
IMG_0354.JPG
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

A shot inside the tail cone. Looks good!! Zero corrosion. You can see the outlaw baggage door installation. I ordered the FAA CD history of all the 337s and there is no paperwork for it. Aaarrrghhhh! Ok.... I know you guys said that Cessna NEVER put a baggage door on any 170!! Is there ANY chance at all that they may have used this one for conformance on the 172 installation? Wishful thinking. Lol. It REALLY looks like a factory installation. Ok.......now let me get back to reality. Is there anybody out there that has gone down this path already? What I'm hoping is someone got a field approval, I could use that paperwork as basis for approval and get an IA to inspect and certify that it was done correctly
Attachments
IMG_0353.JPG
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

On a lighter note......previous owner installed all new glass in the plane and even tho it sat outside for years....it's still like NEW!!! Dirty....but excellent condition!! Yay!!
Attachments
IMG_0356.JPG
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

You can get a Baggage Door STC and have your IA Mechanic make sure the installation conforms to it, then complete a 337 and send it in. Assuming the installation does conform, the expensive part is done :D

I just bought the STC from DelAir and it was $282.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Question......I want to replace all the cables in the plane. Where is the best source for them? Opinions on stainless cables vs not?
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

I replaced all mine on my 1955 bought them from McFarland , all good fit well etc. unless you are going on floats, salt water, no need for stainless. My opinion. others may vary, Cheers Bill
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

You could use Harry,s STC but you could get your own engineering order [DER] or have a talk to cessna also . Confirm with Cessna that the door wasn’t fitted at customer request . Field approval ? Well good luck with that unless you live in Alaska .
I know I am going to be shouted at and possibility shot but now have seen 2 cessna 170 b with rear cargo doors on them that look so good the owners swear that they came with the aircraft . I asked if there was any paper work in the log books except in one log book entry after a test flight report it stated baggage door fitted . This aircraft was from Kamloops ,Canada . Canadian reg. One of the owners was rather indigent over the issue and said there is no mention of having a windscreen fitted or other passenger doors so why the baggage door? I didn’t push the point .
I was in a bad situation regarding the modification or fittment of a cargo door to my aircraft that I spent many hours talking to people and researching on this topic . Your aircraft looks to be a late model 170B . This is my opinion only , if you were buying a new aircraft from cessna or one of the major dealers and have the money they would fit anything . Even today . My aircraft left the assembly line with a VHF and a HF radio. I have a number disagreements over this one .
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Jazasaguma wrote:A shot inside the tail cone. Looks good!! Zero corrosion. You can see the outlaw baggage door installation. I ordered the FAA CD history of all the 337s and there is no paperwork for it. Aaarrrghhhh! Ok.... I know you guys said that Cessna NEVER put a baggage door on any 170!! Is there ANY chance at all that they may have used this one for conformance on the 172 installation? Wishful thinking. Lol. It REALLY looks like a factory installation. Ok.......now let me get back to reality. Is there anybody out there that has gone down this path already? What I'm hoping is someone got a field approval, I could use that paperwork as basis for approval and get an IA to inspect and certify that it was done correctly
Jazasuguma, It's interesting to see that you have a doubler on the station 90 bulkhead. Some time back there was a "lively" discussion on whether the station 90 bulkhead should be reinforced with a doubler when adding a baggage door. You can follow that here. As I've studied Cessna's in my local boneyard I have found that the straight tail 172's with baggage doors do not have this doubler even though it is depicted in fig. 45A of the '56-'62 172 IPC. It is however found on the early 180/182's.
Fig. 45A from '56-'62 C-172 IPC
Fig. 45A from '56-'62 C-172 IPC
Baggage Door Doubler.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 40468 times
. AC43-210 had guidelines for obtaining a field approval for undocumented alterations. I wrote about that here. Here's the salient part:
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
The problem is the above section is not found in the current AC43-210A. I'd talk with your local PMI but I'm guessing that he's going to require you get a DER to sign off on that baggage door if you try to go the field approval route. I'm guessing the easiest and cheapest way to get the baggage door approved will be to skip the DER and go with Del-Air's STC and add the doubler as a minor alteration to the STC.
Gary
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

Ok sports fans. I don't yet have a 170B IPC so I can't see if this is how ole Clyde designed this, but I can't imagine Cessna rigged the tailwheel cables like this. Is this SOP? Or was there some other more elegant way they tied the tailwheel into the rudder cables?? Logically......it would work just fine.....but.... it's also what farmer brown would do!! (No offense to Farmers! Lol).
Attachments
IMG_6482.JPG
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

:( Those appear “electrical” in nature. At least that’s where I’ve always used them.
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

EXACTLY!! Normal!??
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

Yes that is normal for connecting the steering cables to rudder cables. It's a cessna after all :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, that's the way it was done....and yes, you need an IPC....and yes, the IPC is not actually reliable as far as illustrations go. (It's a catalog for ordering parts...not for assembly illustration purposes. It's not an approved document and is known for incorrect illustrations. Elevator cable routing is backwards. Fuel selector valve is incorrect as regards O-ring/retainer positioning. There are other examples also, but it's still a very worthwhile item to own. You can download one free in our Library and elsewhere.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Jazasaguma

Post by Jazasaguma »

I bought this 23' aluminum Pontoon boat trailer and am in the process of modifying it to be a dedicated Cessna 170/180 plane hauler. (Double duty as an antique car hauler as well) the typical wheel track of a 170 falls just outside of the frame rails so I bolted on a 10" aluminum C channel on each side and the ramps will attach to them. There will be an 18" stanchion welded on the tongue to elevate/support the tail so the wings can be placed on padding under the fuselage. I'll attach 3/4 tongue and groove treated plywood to the framework bed, and skin that with .063 aluminum diamond plate. (Gotta be functional AND pretty!! ). Lol. who knows..... I may go into the Cessna 170 moving business!!! Lol. Actually.... I'm doing it because of the fiasco it was picking up my current 170B......AND I just bought another 170A in Northern Michigan that I'll go pick up next month!! Yes, I know. It's a sickness. Can I get an Amen?!! Lol.
Attachments
IMG_0357.JPG