Seat replacements for my rear bench in a C170-B?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170tw

Seat replacements for my rear bench in a C170-B?

Post by 170tw »

Hi you smart ones out there!
I was thinking of maybe trying to replace my rear bench seat with two single seats out of a newer Cessna 185/180. On the 185 these seats mount to the side of the fuselage only. Easy in and out. I’m aware of Atlee’s folding seats, but they can get pretty spendy.
Thanks for your time!
ghostflyer

Re: Seat replacements for my rear bench in a C170-B?

Post by ghostflyer »

I have heard of using a Cessna 206 rear seats for the back seat of 170. However addition seat rails would have to be fitted . W/B would be in order also. I have toyed with the idea but my rear seat [cessna 170A] is perfect and is in good condition .
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

I found over the years that only one rear seat was used, so I found a trashed rear seat and cut it in half. The material you cut off is used in the fabrication and it bolts in using the existing bolt locations. The bolt that would normally go to the side that was cut off is placed into an existing 1/4" nut plate in floor. If anyone is interested I will take some pics of the set up.
Transport had a look at it when I was certifying my wheel skis and they liked it. None structural mod, with amended weight and Balance.
beaverbill

Post by beaverbill »

You may want to consider the individual rear seats that my friend Karl makes for 170's and 180's. Reach him at 9O7 4578359. Or at airframeinnovations dot com.
Bill
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Karl’s seats look like replica late model 180/185 rear seats that are not approved yet for earlier planes. So, in my opinion, the Kenmore 206 middle seat STC is still the best 170/180/185 rear seat conversion there is if you care at all about your rear seat passenger's comfort. They have several inches of fore-aft adjustment depending on how much leg room or baggage room you need. Even adjusted full forward there is plenty of leg room even for tall rear seat passengers. I have them and would not trade for any other type of quick-removable seats. They can be removed and installed in a couple of minutes and one seat or two can be used without restriction.

First you need to contact Kenmore and ask if they will still sell their 206 middle seat STC conversion for installation in a 170. The 170 structure in the mid cabin area is the same as the 180. If you don’t have a factory float kit an additional structural support angle will have to be added under the floor at the front of the baggage area and that requires pulling up the baggage area floor to install.The hat shelf needs to be removed so the new seats can recline but you can leave the bench seat brackets in place in case you ever wanted to reinstall your bench seat, not likely. A fair amount of work but well worth it.

Do not spend any money on seats until you get the approval signed and sealed!

Then you have to find a set of seats. There are 2 different part number 206 middle seats specitied on the STC.
1) the small utility seats that have a back that folds flat onto the seat bottom and will fit into the extended baggage if you typically need to haul more cargo than passengers. Comfortable but do not recline.
2) the high back seat with 3-position recliner, the best choice in my opinion. Same size seats as the front, just sit lower and are the most comfortable.

C206 middle seats installed per Kenmore STC
C206 middle seats installed per Kenmore STC
Small utility and large reclining C206 middle seats
Small utility and large reclining C206 middle seats
Last edited by hilltop170 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:57 am, edited 15 times in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
dogone

Post by dogone »

cfzxo wrote:I found over the years that only one rear seat was used, so I found a trashed rear seat and cut it in half. The material you cut off is used in the fabrication and it bolts in using the existing bolt locations. The bolt that would normally go to the side that was cut off is placed into an existing 1/4" nut plate in floor. If anyone is interested I will take some pics of the set up.
Transport had a look at it when I was certifying my wheel skis and they liked it. None structural mod, with amended weight and Balance.
A few good photos would be very helpful. Especially how you made the seat back.
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

Dogone, I haven’t been to my hanger for about a week because of the snow. 3 Kms of snow has to be plowed. If it lets up this week end I will dig out the snowmobile and get some pics. I never took any when I was building it, but it was easy to fabricate if you are handy welding.
beaverbill

Post by beaverbill »

Just checked today on the airframe innovations seats. They are PMA seats currently STC'd for the later model 180's and 185's. Approval for 170's, early 180's, 172's etc. is expected this spring. Look like a nice lightweight, quick to install and remove option.
Bill
mit

Post by mit »

I got 185 pump seats approved on a field approval back before field approvals became a pain in the arass
Tim
170C

Post by 170C »

A previous owner did a mod on the rear, bench seat in my '56 172 (same seat as 170's) which is likely the same mod as cfzxo refers to above. In my case they left the right side half in place. The seat continues to utilize the same bar across the upper back for reclining adjustment. This arrangement is not as comfortable as Richard's 206 middle seat arrangement, but is the same as our standard rear seat, just utilizing either half, whichever one would choose. This works well if one doesn't have a baggage door or doesn't wish to go to the expense of having one installed. It's easier to remove than the full width rear seat (but not as easy as Richard's seats) and you retain or remove the hat shelf, depending upon your preference.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
dogone

Post by dogone »

Any photos yet?
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

If the news in the lower mainland is accurate, Bill won't be getting to his hangar until he digs himself out of his house.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
cfzxo

Post by cfzxo »

Jim thats exactly the story, we got another 3 ft in the last dump. there is now 5ft of accumulation on my hanger road. I will try to dig out the snowmobile tomorrow and get some pictures. Road maintenance contractor says access to town maybe tomorrow. Hydro came out on snow cats to repair the line so we where without power for two days. It's all good now because we lost internet, landline phone, but the cell is still working. Last year at this time wheel landings at my strip :D
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

cfzxo wrote:I found over the years that only one rear seat was used, so I found a trashed rear seat and cut it in half. The material you cut off is used in the fabrication and it bolts in using the existing bolt locations. The bolt that would normally go to the side that was cut off is placed into an existing 1/4" nut plate in floor. If anyone is interested I will take some pics of the set up.
This has to be the most cost effective way to go. I went Atlee Dodge, found a used pair but still not cheap. I have used both once in 6 years, so I would probably just put one in next time. I have rear seat if anyone is interested that I would let go for not much.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
pdb

Post by pdb »

The 206 seats look nice and very comfortable but don’t underestimate the utility of a single Atlee Dodge seat. (I don’t fly with 4 pax.)

Most of the time, I have mine folded up flat against the side of the fuselage which leaves the entire back area open for cargo. Folding the seat down and securing the inboard seat legs to the center floor rail takes all of about 30 seconds to get it ready for a passenger. There is no change in CG for the seat if it’s folded out of the way or down as a seat, just calculate for the passenger.

I have mine on the pilot side so if I need to carry long cargo, I can take out the front pax seat and have a very long unobstructed cargo space on the right side of the aircraft.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg