Fabric Wing Stains

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Chartis2

Fabric Wing Stains

Post by Chartis2 »

I have a Cessna 170 1948 Ragwing that has been sitting for 15+ years. I just got her airworthy again and am trying my best to make her look brand new. I have noticed a lot of fuel stains on the tops of my wings. Does anyone with a rag-wing have a fabric cleaner that they swear by? I think that I am going to need something really strong, but I also dont want to hurt the fabric.

Open to any ideas! Thanks!

Chris H

Cessna 170 1948 Rag
Chris Hartis
'48 Cessna 170
"Failing to plan, is planning to fail."
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Fabric Wing Stains

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Before doing anything of this nature you need to know what system was used to cover your 170. What is the top coat paint? You might use a different product if you know it is butyrate vs something else. In fact if the paint is butyrate you might consider roughing it up and putting on a fresh coat over the stains.

What you don't want to do is use a product on the paint that will destroy it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

As Bruce cautions be careful what product you use. Fuel is the best product to remove fuel stains. I wash my 48 wings with Linseed Soap which is a purified organic raw linseed oil, natural product, without additives. Try a small stained area with some fuel first to see if it works. Do the same for any stronger cleaner too, just in case it starts to react to whatever finish you currently have on your wings. Any pictures??
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I can't address the rag-wing fuel-stain particularly... but I can report that when I had fuel stains running down the side of my 206 (from a leaking bladder) ...the best method of removing the stain was found to be.... avgas. It removed the stains...and then I immediately dried the wet avgas with another dry rag.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Chartis2

Post by Chartis2 »

This input is all VERY helpful. I will look into the Linseed Soap, but try using AvGas first to see if that works. Thank you all for your insight! A clean plane is a happy plane. haha

Cheers,
Chris Hartis
'48 Cessna 170
"Failing to plan, is planning to fail."