Pull Starter on O300D? (moved out of MX Library)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Toddav8r

Pull Starter on O300D? (moved out of MX Library)

Post by Toddav8r »

Is it possible to install a pull starter on an O300D? If I’m looking at the parts manual correctly, it appears that as long as you have the correct crankshaft cluster gear installed (during rebuild), a pull starter will mate to the accessory case with no problems. Is that right?
Todd Farnsley
C-170A N9254A
Edmond, OK
Wiley Post Airport (KPWA)
GAHorn

Re: Pull Starter on O300D?

Post by GAHorn »

There are three studs on the upper accy-case which must be pulled and replaced by bolts at the starter attach point.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Out of curiosity, why would one want to install a pull starter on a D model C-O300 D?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:Out of curiosity, why would one want to install a pull starter on a D model C-O300 D?
Not speaking for the OP... but one reason might be to install it into a 170 and keep the original pull-start.
This operation would be permissible under TCM M75-6R1 as it would reclassify the engine as an O-300-C. The dataplate should be restamped under "model" to O-300DCC (D Converted to C).
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Toddav8r

Re: Pull Starter on O300D? (moved out of MX Library)

Post by Toddav8r »

Bingo...and to further answer the question, I ended up with a nice O300D core for a possible overhaul down the road, just looking at options for putting it in my 170A and keeping the pull starter. Plus, selling the serviceable starter adaptor helps pay for the overhaul. Also interested in possibly using the STC to install the O300A 8 hole prop flange crank in the D engine...
Todd Farnsley
C-170A N9254A
Edmond, OK
Wiley Post Airport (KPWA)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Toddav8r wrote:Bingo...and to further answer the question, I ended up with a nice O300D core for a possible overhaul down the road, just looking at options for putting it in my 170A and keeping the pull starter. Plus, selling the serviceable starter adaptor helps pay for the overhaul. Also interested in possibly using the STC to install the O300A 8 hole prop flange crank in the D engine...
That would also be covered under the TCM SL. But why? Because you have an 8-bolt prop? That engine would become an O300A which does not need the STC for installation in a 170.
That crank is becoming rare to find in airworthy condition. It might pay you to sell it and your prop and use a 6-bolt EM series McCauley and be updated on both counts. THEN the STC would apply to the installation.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aryana wrote:The airfoil of the McCauley EM 6 bolt prop is superior to the 8 bolt DM prop as well.
And less weight also.
BWeathered

Post by BWeathered »

Toddav8r wrote:Bingo...and to further answer the question, I ended up with a nice O300D core for a possible overhaul down the road, just looking at options for putting it in my 170A and keeping the pull starter. Plus, selling the serviceable starter adaptor helps pay for the overhaul. Also interested in possibly using the STC to install the O300A 8 hole prop flange crank in the D engine...

I have another potential use for that pull starter location, if you change from a O-300A to a D. When we changed our A to a D, we had now had the engine driven vacuum pump, and we still had the venturi, of course, so I ordered the Precise Flight alternate vacuum STC that usually uses engine manifold pressure for an alternate vac source. Instead of plumbing the line to the manifold, we plumbed the alternate vac source line to the original venturi. Works great! The STC kit has a shuttle valve for pilot selection of vac source, with a knob that is similar to the carb heat knob, so I used the pull start hole for the vac source selection knob. The 170 Association should have a copy of my field approval on file.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

BWeathered wrote:

I have another potential use for that pull starter location, if you change from a O-300A to a D. When we changed our A to a D, we had now had the engine driven vacuum pump, and we still had the venturi, of course, so I ordered the Precise Flight alternate vacuum STC that usually uses engine manifold pressure for an alternate vac source. Instead of plumbing the line to the manifold, we plumbed the alternate vac source line to the original venturi. Works great! The STC kit has a shuttle valve for pilot selection of vac source, with a knob that is similar to the carb heat knob, so I used the pull start hole for the vac source selection knob. The 170 Association should have a copy of my field approval on file.
That's an interesting variation of an idea I've always thought possible.... using the engine vacuum to spin-up gyros before takeoff and then switch to venturiis in-flight. (I never did it tho' when I realized I'd never consider a zero-zero take-off in a single-engined airplane anyway...and venturi gyros are spun-up just fine by 300' AGL in my experience.)

Ol'Gar and I left his strip with a mile and 500' OVCST headed for Mena (KMEZ) via a fuel stop at Nachitoches (KIER). We simply took off and levelled just before entering the clouds ... confirmed the gyros were working properly (banked and pitched to test them) and when confirmed.... climbed into the overcast, got radar identified and cleared for a GPS appch at KIER...got fuel and climbed up to VFR conditions all the way to Mena. (I typically only operate single-engine IFR to get above/below to VFR and high-mins NP-Appchs. (I prefer to plan to see the ground to pick out the crash site beforehand when single-engine, usually limit myself to 500' and a mile.)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote: ...That's an interesting variation of an idea I've always thought possible.... using the engine vacuum to spin-up gyros before takeoff and then switch to venturiis in-flight. ...
I’ve been doing it this way years with the Safe Flight system. I’ve always liked the way it works, but it’s even better now that the venturis have been moved to the proper location on the right side of the airplane.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne