Obscure Part Question of the Week: Sun Visor Washer

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gfeher

Obscure Part Question of the Week: Sun Visor Washer

Post by gfeher »

I recently came across a pair of sun visors from a '52 C-170B. They appear to be original, or at least early Cessna sun visors. The seller took them right off the plane and said he gave me all of the mounting hardware. Missing however were two large washers, both p/n 0500010-4, item 4 shown in Fig 101 of the C-170B IPC. According to the IPC, the missing washers are used under the AN3-5A mounting bolts (along with regular AN960-10L washers) and look like standard AN970-3 fender washers. Any one know anything about these 0500010-4 washers? Like what are they made of? They are not unique to the sun visor kit or the C-170B. I did a google search and the washers are also used under a ring for an oxygen bottle in an anbulance kit for a few other Cessna models (207 was one of them if I remember correctly). The mounting hardware the seller gave me was two AN3-5A bolts and two AN960-10 (not -10L) washers, and said that was what was on the plane. That's a little different from what's shown in the IPC. I'm thinking about using AN970-3 fender washers, but I'd like to know more about the ones with the Cessna part number first. Do we have an expert on obscure Cessna washers?
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
n2582d

Re: Obscure Part Question of the Week: Sun Visor Washer

Post by n2582d »

Gene,
There’s a Cessna Service Letter for every part on the 170, no matter how obscure. :lol: In this case it’s SNL 7-9-52. No idea what makes that washer a special Cessna part. I’d go with an AN970 large area washer but the 0500010-4 washers are available at KRN and Preferred Air Parts. It might be you’ll need a larger diameter washer than a -3 to fit around the mounting bracket. In that case you could use an AN970-4 washer with a small bushing.
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I love this obscure detail. Turns out Gene, you did get all the hardware cause in '52 Cessna wasn't yet installing 0500010-14.

Not always the case but a clue that a thing that looks like a fender washer but has a Cessna part number is not an AN part. There is some difference between the AN spec and the part. The difference may be chrome or nickel plating. It maybe cause the washers where provided by the supplier manufacturing the visors and Cessna didn't know their spec and could not call them an AN part. The thing to keep in mind is how critical is the function the part performs to safety of the aircraft. I was looking for part 0500010-4 I'd probably find some in my AN970 drawer. If I was looking for something more critical I would research earlier years or later years to see if Cessna revealed an AN part was used there. Many times the part numbered parts have a longer grip length in the case of bolts or are thicker than standard in the case of washers.

BTW a tip. Before you disassemble your Continental C-145, be prepared to identify every single bolt and washer. Mark them and where they cam from. Many of them are not simple AN bolts or washers. Many have Continental part numbers and are very expensive. Motor mount bushing bolts come to mind. And some of the washers under the AN bolts around the case halves are another. Of course there is no guarantee the parts you taking off are correct. But at least when you go to find the special spacers that go under the lifting lug on the case halves, you don't cuss cause you threw them all in a big bucket.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Gary, for some reason, I thought you would be able to point to information about that washer. You are the king of service bulletins, letters, etc. From the service letter you identified, it looks like the Cessna washer goes right against the headliner with the -10L washer between the Cessna washer and the bracket. So I don't think the OD of the Cessna washer is critical. I saw that KRN and Preferred have some. but somehow, I doubt they will be anywhere as cheap as 8 cents a piece for the AN970-3's at Aircraft Spruce.

Bruce, I think you probably nailed it. Now that I see the service letter identified by Gary, I'm also guessing that the Cessna washer may just have a better finish, like chrome or nickel. I'm going to strip and repaint my sun visors to match my interior. So when I take the paint off the brackets, I'll have a better idea if they had a shiny finish originally.

I know what you are saying about C-145 bolts, washers, etc. Seems like all of them have a Continental part number (and are many times the price of AN hardware.) The Continental IPC is my friend.

Edit: I forgot to mention Gary, can you post or send me a pdf full copy of SNL52-09-07? I just checked and you can't download it from the Cessna website.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Gene, Those two clips - the text and the illustration - I previously posted make up the entire S.N.L. Will you be mounting your visors as shown in the Owner's Manual, i.e. on the bottom face of the carry through spar? On my plane the holes are drilled for nutplates but the nutplates themselves are missing there.
Gary
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

OK. Thanks Gary. Yes, I'll be mounting them through the headliner onto the bottom face of the carry through spar. I checked today, and I have the holes with the nutplates already installed. It's about as simple an installation as you can get.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

My dad either threw away or lost one of our sun visors. I have the other. I wanted to put them in, but Zenda installed Rosens instead, and that, along with an alternator have substantially increased my enjoyment/usefulness of the airplane. When I install a latchless baggage door and 180 heater, I will be as happy as I can.

I'm easy to please.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

gfeher wrote:OK. Thanks Gary. Yes, I'll be mounting them through the headliner onto the bottom face of the carry through spar. I checked today, and I have the holes with the nutplates already installed. It's about as simple an installation as you can get.
I'm going to be putting the Rozens that my girlfriend bought me for Christmas in my 170 soon, you can have my old washers if you want them. I believe mine are painted, not sure what is underneath the paint. I can take a picture of them next time I go to the airport if you want.

Joe
4518C
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Sure Joe. I'll take them. What do you want for them? You want me to PM you?
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

gfeher wrote:Sure Joe. I'll take them. What do you want for them? You want me to PM you?
PM would be fine, not sure how long before I get down to the hangar but shouldn't be too long. You can have them, I don't think I'll miss them for long!

Joe