Master light and oil pressure gauge connection

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rupertjl

Master light and oil pressure gauge connection

Post by rupertjl »

I had the altimeter rebuilt and while I had the front panel out I decided to rewire the master light. I’m having trouble with the wire running to the oil pressure gauge. When I jumper an alligator clip ground the light works when I remove it it will not illuminate when the master is switched on. I’ve cleaned the surface of the post at the oil gauge and I know the new wire when grounded correctly makes the light illuminate. Can any tell me how that post connection on the oil gauge works. I don’t have me 170 electrical book nearby.

Happy new year and thanks!
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366
GAHorn

Re: Master light and oil pressure gauge connection

Post by GAHorn »

It sounds (reads) as if you have a different gauge than original. Do you have an automotive gauge with internal lighting? If so, is your panel adequately grounded?>
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Looks original but I’d have to go look for a P/N to be sure, problem is that it was working fine before I updated the wire, I just thought that since I had to pull the master light and disconnect the wires that it was an easy “preventative maintenance” action...didn’t intend to make more work for myself! I’ll have to dig around some more and check grounding paths...
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm curious as to what exactly you are referring when you mention "master" light?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

I talking about the big red diamond bulb at the 6 o'clock position on the instrument cover right below the DG. When the master switch is on it illuminates. I thought it went out when the volt meter went to charge, but i was a little taken back when i saw the one post of the light went to the oil pressure gauge. Now that i look at the IPC for the '50 A model, I can't find it anywhere.

I guess the 100 series manual refers to it as the Generator Warning Light after further review
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

That "Master Light" is not original, which is why George asked. I assumed you were referring to a low voltage light which would light when your master is on and no voltage was being made. One might think of it as a "Master light" but when it comes on and your flying you better realize your generator or alternator just quit. BTW a low voltage light is also not original.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Could this warning light been a option, I “had” exactly the same originally. Same position etc etc. I replaced all the wiring due to type and age and a EI volt/amp gauge was fitted . This warning light used to bug me as it came on at idle and got my attention on approach . Now my new alternator puts out a healthy charge regardless of engine speed.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The problem with warning lights is.... the lack of a light... doesn't mean A-OK. It only means the light isn't illuminated for some silly reason. (burned out lamp, broken wire, burned-up regulator, etc.) I once ferried a 175 from Ardmore to Dallas Love and lost radios when approaching Love because the generator/regulator burned up and the lamp didn't detect that sort of thing. The only light that was useful... was the green light from the control-tower cab.

Voltmeters and Ammeters are a lot more useful.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The low voltage light was never an option in the 170. However at some time I believe it became common in newer aircraft and it is easily retrofitted
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Well, I guess I won't worry about it any more , other than to leave it there so there's not a big 1" hole in my panel. Looking through the 100 series manual, someone must have adapted the early 172 set up at some point in the life of the airplane...probably the same time that altimeter that had the Mooney label installed (and the reason i had it removed and overhauled). Thanks everyone!
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

My "master light" was always just to leave the anti-collision lights on. It's hard to walk away from an airplane with them running. :wink:
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

rupertjl wrote:Well, I guess I won't worry about it any more , other than to leave it there so there's not a big 1" hole in my panel. Looking through the 100 series manual, someone must have adapted the early 172 set up at some point in the life of the airplane...probably the same time that altimeter that had the Mooney label installed (and the reason i had it removed and overhauled). Thanks everyone!

A 1" vacuum gauge could be put in the hole.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
rupertjl

Post by rupertjl »

Richard, if i do that, then I'll have a hole to replace my larger vacuum gauge, which i could probably use to put the remote head unit of the ADS-B system i bought, which will require the addition of the the GPS antenna and more wiring change. Which will ultimately lead to a full panel rework- and heck -while I"m at it might as well throw that 180 HP engine on the front that i have for it... :lol:

I think i'll just leave it alone for right now!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The generator system on the 172 trainer I bought has been converted to the Jasco alternator.... but the idiot light doesn't work any more. I've got to get under that panel and see why (but the center-mounted avionics are not friendly for that as I'll have to remove the box-frames todo that. grrr

If the lamp is installed.... IT MUST BE OPERATIONAL....according to FARs. The Jasco install instructs I've been able to find do not mention it's removal so I'm guessing it should work. Anyone with a Jasco in a later idiot-light-equipped airplane have any input on this?
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

rupertjl wrote:Richard,
I think i'll just leave it alone for right now!
I hear you, the age-old question, Where do you stop? I like flying better than working so I know what I would do. Good choice!
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!