Spark Plug Question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Spark Plug Question

Post by 170C »

A friend put 12 new Champion plugs in his engine (plugs came with a new set of Slick mags). Engine ran somewhat rough so plugs pulled and checked. Reinstalled and no improvement. (Don't know if they were cleaned in a plug cleaner or not, but shop has that equipment so I would think they did) He put in 6 fine wire Champions and sent the 6 that didn't ck out good back to Champion who after a lengthly delay agreed to send him 6 new plugs now and to give him another 6 if he goes to their booth at S&F in April. They claimed they cleaned the plugs and they tested OK, suggesting that when installed, thread lube probably got on the electrodes and shorted them out. I have always been cautioned not to let the lube get on the electrodes for that reason.
My question is that if lube did get on the electrodes (they say three were shorted) would cleaning the plugs return them to operating correctly?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Re: Spark Plug Question

Post by GAHorn »

I don't know what kind of thread lube was used..but the Champion lube is a graphitic-liquid and you'd have to saturate the plug thoroughly to cause a short, it would seem. I use Permatex Anti-Seize on my plugs. A bit brushed onto the main threads and a bit also on the upper threads where the harness fits onto them. Never had a problem at all.
Attachments
AntiSeize.jpg
AntiSeize.jpg (4.59 KiB) Viewed 20938 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Although that is possible that thread lube grounded the plug, cleaning them will often remove that part of the equation. The problem with plugs is that they are fickle. You dont know the history of the new plug. For example, just because they are new it does not mean they were not dropped and the insulators are damaged. best way to tell the condition of the plug is to check the resistance. if they are over 5K they are junk. Even if they are new. Bomb testing them will give the best test for the plug after cleaning. a lot of shade tree mechanics dont do this test but you said the shop does. YMMV Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I have a Mil Spec somewhere for plugs. For quite some time Champion did not make the requirements which is 5000 ohms. I am flying blind here so may be inaccurate. Champion for years said this was not true. I have heard they eventually changed the resistor to meet the specs. You can tell the difference in the old plugs had a slotted screw head in the bottom of the barrel. the new ones do not have that and meet the spec. You can check it with an ohm meter. I switched to Tempest and have eliminated all problems with Chamion plugs. Clif Orcutt at Aircraft Magneto in Montana can shed further light on this subject.
It's not done till it's overdone
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Tempest claims their T556 “doesn't drip, and more importantly, won't inadvertently run down on the firing end of the spark plug potentially causing an environment conducive to fouling or even pre-ignition.”

I recently ran across an EAA video clip about applying heat transfer paste to Rotax plugs. (Yeah I know, pretty exciting video. Insomnia, what better cure than a video on heat transfer paste?) Anyway Rotax uses Wacker P12. The video advised not to use cheap substitutes which turn to powder when they get hot.
Gary
canav8

Post by canav8 »

If you put the lube on the second thread instead of the end you wont have that problem either.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
170C

Post by 170C »

Fortunately I’ve not had a problem either and we don’t think that was
the issue with Champions. Must’ve been defective plugs. I switched to Tempest yrs ago and am happy with them. Thanks for the comments.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Here's what Lycoming says in their Service Instruction 1042AE:
Use a copper-based anti-seize compound or engine oil on spark plug threads starting two full threads from the electrode, but DO NOT use a graphite-based compound.
Continental's M-0 maintenance manual says to "use only manufacturer's recommended spark plug thread lubricant".
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I can't help but criticize Lycoming's advice to use engine oil for a thread lubricant. It will "coke" (carbonize) and seize. IMO.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I hate service instructions that only say "what" and not "why". I know graphite is bad for steel at high temperatures, but aluminum too?

Oil seems like the worst thing to use. I've tried using anti-seize, but it's grease-based and also makes burned crud in the threads. Not as bad as oil, though.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The Permatex Anti Seize I mentioned earlier is specifically recommended for spark plugs by it's mfr'r, ...contains copper and graphite, ....and withstands tempuratures up to 1600 degrees . See the "Applications" Tab at the bottom of this page:

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubri ... bricant-2/