Brake Strap Fastener Question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Poncho73

Brake Strap Fastener Question

Post by Poncho73 »

Is the fastener for the gear leg brake clip strap just a simple rivet and can I drill it off? I'm removing the legs for inspection and repaint and would like to have a look in that area. The parts book shows the fastener just don't specify what it is.

Thanks
GAHorn

Re: Brake Strap Fastener Question

Post by GAHorn »

Yes, you may drill the rivet.... but be very carefull not to allow the bit to slip and "nick" or scratch the gear leg. While removed, look at the rivet hole with a 10X magnifying glass and examine the circumference for evidence of cracking. A slight "radius" is allowed to relieve stress-cracking of that hole as well as axle bolt mounting holes.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Remember, there are 3 basic gear legs original to the 170 line. The first, the early design, are drilled all the way through the gear leg. The second, the early gear leg not drilled all the way through but dimpled. The last being the lady legs with are also only dimpled. If this is a first edition early leg the rivet may go all the way through the gear leg.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

I'm assuming they are original legs and mine being a 48 without damage history they should be....but you never know. I will have a very close look prior to doing anything.

I assume they are just a soft aluminum rivet?

Thanks again
Poncho73

Post by Poncho73 »

Bruce/George I checked tonight when I was working the fuel lines. It looks like a straight through rivet. I will drill it off after the fuel system is done and the PPonk goes in. Cheers