Sudden roughness during cruise

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

canav8

Re: Sudden roughness during cruise

Post by canav8 »

Check your induction clamps
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Compressions are good indicating valves are not stuck, fuel is flowing (although an internal carb failure could have happened and should be checked out), carb heat flapper/air box should be checked, but the statement that the engine lost 100rpm and ran rough all at once, sounds like ignition to me.

Induction leaks typically cause roughness at idle/low rpm and goes away at cruise rpm.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Just to add complication to the puzzle.....A broken or weak valve spring will cause sudden onset of roughness but may still demonstrate good compression-checks on the ground.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

gahorn wrote:Just to add complication to the puzzle.....A broken or weak valve spring will cause sudden onset of roughness but may still demonstrate good compression-checks on the ground.

Good point. Broken springs are easy to visually check by removing the valve covers. I don’t think a weak valve spring would produce an immediate rpm drop and roughness as described in the original post, but a broken spring might.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

hilltop170 wrote:Compressions are good indicating valves are not stuck, fuel is flowing (although an internal carb failure could have happened and should be checked out), carb heat flapper/air box should be checked, but the statement that the engine lost 100rpm and ran rough all at once, sounds like ignition to me.

Induction leaks typically cause roughness at idle/low rpm and goes away at cruise rpm.
Sometimes valves do not remain stuck, I have had them both ways.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
brianm

Post by brianm »

And the winner is... George and Richard, sort of. The #4 exhaust valve guide is wrecked. Apparently the valve was still seating well enough to show good compression and a warm cylinder during earlier tests. Today it ran way worse and the cold cylinder was obvious. The cylinder is off to the engine shop.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

brianm wrote:And the winner is... George and Richard, sort of. The #4 exhaust valve guide is wrecked. Apparently the valve was still seating well enough to show good compression and a warm cylinder during earlier tests. Today it ran way worse and the cold cylinder was obvious. The cylinder is off to the engine shop.
Exactly the same as occurred to me with my C-206....a cracked valve guide. It allowed the valve to seat MOST of the time... but every once in a while for several minutes the engine was rough. It was difficult to duplicate on the ground so it went on for several flights.
I discovered the problem during a valve-cover-gasket replacement when the exhaust-valve- tip could be "wiggled/wobbled" when in an open condition. The reason I even attempted to wiggle it was because I thought a hairline crack was visible near the top/exposed end of the valve guide. A boroscope peek and pulling the cylinder confirmed it. Part of the guide was missing and presumeably exited the exhaust at some point several operating hours earlier.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Brian,
Is your airplane at Schaumberg? Had lunch there yesterday and there was a 170 in the shop hangar.
Johneb
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
brianm

Post by brianm »

johneeb wrote:Brian,
Is your airplane at Schaumberg? Had lunch there yesterday and there was a 170 in the shop hangar.
Johneb
That's me. Based out of Waukegan, ended up landing at 06C on my way to Clow last weekend.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Brian,
Have you been able to repair and replace you lame cylinder?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

brianm

Post by brianm »

Unfortunately not. The cylinder that came off the plane couldn't be repaired. My normal mechanic had a good condition slightly used Millennium cylinder that I dropped off at Poplar Grove this week. Crossing my fingers that I'll be up and flying for New Years.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

brianm wrote:Unfortunately not. The cylinder that came off the plane couldn't be repaired. My normal mechanic had a good condition slightly used Millennium cylinder that I dropped off at Poplar Grove this week. Crossing my fingers that I'll be up and flying for New Years.
I can't recall ever meeting a "normal" aircraft mechanic. :twisted:
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

brianm wrote:Unfortunately not. The cylinder that came off the plane couldn't be repaired. My normal mechanic had a good condition slightly used Millennium cylinder that I dropped off at Poplar Grove this week. Crossing my fingers that I'll be up and flying for New Years.
Brian, tell me if you need a airplane ride out to Poplar Grove to pick up your cylinder I will take you out there, that should help speed up the process of getting back in the air.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

edbooth

Post by edbooth »

gahorn wrote:
I can't recall ever meeting a "normal" aircraft mechanic. :twisted:
I represent that remark ! :lol:
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver