Correct Beacon

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dallas170

Correct Beacon

Post by Dallas170 »

This is the beacon on my 170:
Attach28991_20171126_175658.jpg
The glass is cracked, and the contacts will only make intermittent contact, so I'd like to replace it. The part number on the fixture is C621001-0106. But I find this part seems to be designed for a different mounting method -- a ring around the glass and base, rather than the screw-down collar holding everything to the fuselage.

So what I'm wondering is if there's a different beacon intended for this mount, and perhaps that's how the glass got cracked in the first place, or should I just get another of the same and not tighten it all the way.
GAHorn

Re: Correct Beacon

Post by GAHorn »

I've never seen this mount before and also wonder if it's not a "custom" one. The lens/fixture appears to be the type normally installed on top of vertical stabilizers of later Cessna aircraft, and if so, it uses an outrageously over-priced halogen lamp.

I cannot offer an answer to your specific question, but I would recommend you consider replacing it with a Whelen strobe with a red (forward)/white (rearward) lens.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... ckkey=4026

or if cost is a concern, their simple "flasher" type:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... ecfer=5438
11-03292.jpg
11-03292.jpg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 6276 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Dallas170

Post by Dallas170 »

George, thank you for the reply. Do you see other benefits to replacing the light besides the cost of the bulb? I see the two you posted are self contained, and I believe there is a flasher module wired to this one somewhere that I'd have to remove as well as whatever mod would be necessary to mount a new strobe. I'd prefer to avoid all that unless there's a very good reason. I do have white strobes on the tail and wingtips, so I'm somewhat covered there.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dallas170 wrote:George, thank you for the reply. Do you see other benefits to replacing the light besides the cost of the bulb? I see the two you posted are self contained, and I believe there is a flasher module wired to this one somewhere that I'd have to remove as well as whatever mod would be necessary to mount a new strobe. I'd prefer to avoid all that unless there's a very good reason. I do have white strobes on the tail and wingtips, so I'm somewhat covered there.
Nope....and if you have the strobes as you say... you don't need the little beacon at all.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)