Gascolator: Glass or Metal

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Chartis2

Gascolator: Glass or Metal

Post by Chartis2 »

Hello fellow Cessna 170 owners. I currently have a glass bulb gascolator on my Cessna 170. I have heard from a couple of pilot's that I should think about replacing this glass bulb with a metal casing so that I avoid the risk of the glass cracking and all of the fuel leaking out of the plane during flight. I have had one friend has a crack in the bulb and cause a major issue during flight. I would love some input on this. Thanks!
Chris Hartis
'48 Cessna 170
"Failing to plan, is planning to fail."
canav8

Re: Gascolator: Glass or Metal

Post by canav8 »

The glass requires a little more care in maintaining but it is not more susceptible to failure. It is unwarranted. The only problem is if you damage the glass parts replacement is getting scarce. No need to worry about failure during operation. D
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I agree with Doug. And I like being able to see inside the gascolator.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

Ditto. The danger really isn't cracking in flight. It's pretty thick glass. It's dropping it while taking apart the gascolator to clean and inspect the glass and screen during annual inspection. During my first annual of my plane, my IA suggested that I order a Steve's all-metal gascolator as a spare, given his view that it's not unusual for someone to drop the glass. I followed his advice but I'm happy to say I haven't dropped mine yet. The spare is still in the box. But I remember his warning every time I take my original one apart.

By the way, none of what I said should take anything away from the Steve's gascolator, if you decide to go that route. It's a nice product. Very well made and easy to service. I've serviced them on other small Cessnas and I like them. It's just that I'll stick with my original gascolator while I have it.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

I would be more concerned about the condition of the gasket setting on top of the glass.

Aged gasket with air leak could lead to fuel flow problems.

Operating your 170 on unimproved landing strips or even worse no strip at all(i.e. sand/gravel bar) could be a
one in a million chance of tire flipping up a stone and breaking glass.

Care and full attention in everything we do. Just because it has performed for 60+ years - no time for casual.

Some one will witness the C170 flying at 100 years.
gradyb, '54 B N2890C
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I received a question on this very matter recently and here's the reply gave:

The glass gascolator "bowl" has lasted.... let's see now.... how many years? WHY would it suddenly be a hazard for breakage?
In flight it has no hazard. They break when someone removes it for cleaning and drops it on the concrete hangar floor or overtightens it, etc.

Current FAA authorities strongly encourage newly manufactured gascolators to be all-metal. But no requirement exists for you to change out your glass for a metal one.

I recommend you keep it as it is.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Let me add to this discussion that some inspectors are concerned that in the event of an engine fire that the glass might break. It's an unwarranted concern because the glass is "Pyrex"... a fire-tempered type of glass.

A more logical concern in my view are the 20 year old rubber hoses connecting the gascolator to the carburetor in many of these airplanes, almost none of which are firesleeved.
If you order a hose from a hose mfr'r or from Spruce... as the owner/pilot you may replace it yourself under Appdx A "Preventive Maintenance". (Do not order one too long because you do not want it to "sag" with excess length. A low-point in the hose may allow water to pool there, although none should get past the gascolator. The hose is measured from flare-face to flared-face.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Chartis2

Post by Chartis2 »

Thank you to everyone for your responses. This has been very helpful for me during this final stage of restoration. I have decided to keep my current glass bowl but open it up for some cleaning and maintenance before I remount it. Again, thank you all for the help. I can't wait to see her back in the air where she belongs.

Chris Hartis
'48 Cessna 170 Owner
Chris Hartis
'48 Cessna 170
"Failing to plan, is planning to fail."
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I changed my glass gascolator over due to not be able to purchase gaskets for it easily. So a STEVES gascolator was fitted and very happy with its operation. I lock it with a safety clip and often open it up for inspection with a easily obtained fitted O ring and inspect the insides and filter . This is the lowest point in my fuel system while I always water drain my fuel tanks , I am always getting water out of the gascolator and other rubbish . For some reason the glass gascolator didn’t show or collect the rubbish that the Steve’s gascolator does.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

My glass gascolator had a 1" long chip out of the aluminum on the rim that locates the gasket. I replaced it with a Steves gascolator and it really is a nicely made piece of gear. Not original but very functional.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The gasket price has gone crazy ..but it's available from Spruce: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... kkey=91983