Scott Tailwheel question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Toddav8r

Scott Tailwheel question

Post by Toddav8r »

Hoping someone can provide enlightenment…

I’m helping a fellow 170A owner change his tail spring pack, but realized his tailwheel assembly, which looks, smells, and acts like a Scott 3200, is different. The upper bracket assembly that attaches to the main tail spring has the same shape and features, but is not as wide as the standard 3200 you see in all the drawings. It doesn’t require the standard leaf spring adapter, for the main spring fits snugly into the casting without it. Nor does it require a bushing for the AN7 mount bolt - the hole in the casting is already sized for the AN7.

I called the Alaska Bushwheel guys, but they weren’t familiar with it.

Does anyone know what we have here?
Todd Farnsley
C-170A N9254A
Edmond, OK
Wiley Post Airport (KPWA)
canav8

Re: Scott Tailwheel question

Post by canav8 »

Todd any pictures? There are different spring stack sizes. The 3200 has a shim to adapt to the smaller stack. The important thing is that the casting be secured in tension with the AN-7 bolt. I have seen some installations of narrow spring and casting with the larger shim in place. I hope that sheds some light. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It's possible you have a later L-19 tailwheel bracket. (They had minor changes in that bracket as the L-19 went thru A, B, C, etc,) Look thru the logs to see if it's ever been changed-out. A picture would help understand your question.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Are you talking about the 3200 mount not requiring a shim? You can see, we don't quite understand your question.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
dogone

Post by dogone »

I just changed springs on my 3200/ on my 170B. The old main spring was wider than other springs and fit the 3200 perfectly. New spring stack is narrower and took a shim. I think springs were from different suppliers as older main spring was only a few years old.
170C

Post by 170C »

Some years ago I replaced my main spring leaf in my Scott 3200. First ordered one from Spruce, as I recall, and upon receiving it I realized it was too narrow. I compared the main leaf to the one I had and it was, as best I can recall, 1/8" to 1/4" wider. This then required an "owner produced part" to fit correctly. It has worked properly ever since.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018