Replacement Cowling ------ Where to get one

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Helios_AZ

Replacement Cowling ------ Where to get one

Post by Helios_AZ »

I have a '53 170B that will need a new cowling soon. I have the O-300A in it and have not been able to find one. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
V/R

Jay Land
170B (N170W)
mit

Re: Replacement Cowling ------ Where to get one

Post by mit »

Salvage outfits.....
Tim
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Don't overlook early 172 cowls. It was the '53 model which introduced pressure cowls.
Also, you might want to look into reverse-mortgages.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Err, what’s a reverse mortgages, ?? I am trying to understand the connection and how’s its affect on a cowl.

Well I now have been informed it was a attempt of American humor. Plus it was explained about was a reverse mortgage, so there fore a cowl would cost a lot of money . Mmnnn interesting . 8O I would be considering a repair to the cowl.
Last edited by ghostflyer on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Jay,
Welcome to the club!

Do you need to replace the cowling because it is dented, cracked, or both? All of the cowling or certain parts? If it is dented a skilled tinman with an english wheel can work wonders. My lower cowling looked OK from the outside but revealed it's age with dents when one looked at the inside -- Bondo by the pound. I was able to find new skins to replace the damaged ones. I'd second the suggestion of looking for replacements at salvage yards. If it is only individual skins you need try Googling the part numbers. Be aware that several of the cowling parts have revised/corrected part numbers as can be seen in my screenshot of Fig. 48 in the IPC.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Gary
Helios_AZ

Post by Helios_AZ »

Thanks, Gary. I will start my search with these new numbers. Most of my dents are on the lower right skins. I do have a lot of patched and crack repairs on the nose bowl.
V/R

Jay Land
170B (N170W)