conversion to O360 with Del Air

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gerald_Glaser

conversion to O360 with Del Air

Post by Gerald_Glaser »

I was blowing oil through the blowby - and we found one cylinder suddenly had gone from 70lbs to 10lbs.

I commute in my 170A so time to repair was a thought - I bought new cylinders (even though my Milleniums only had 850 hrs on them)
When the A&P took off the first cylinder he found pitting in the camshaft. SO the engine rebuild is now necessary.

I was thinking instead to consider the O360 upgrade - but it is really expensive. (I'm not sure I can find a reasonably priced O360 A1A so that might be the limitation)

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Flying N1298D a 1951 C170A
c170b53

Re: conversion to O360 with Del Air

Post by c170b53 »

Not only are you thinking it, you're writing it out loud.
It's really expensive :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
flyboy122

Post by flyboy122 »

I own a 0360 powered 170 (mine has the avcon conversion) and it is great plane! But looking at the cost of the conversion today it's a tough sell. You don't see them for sale often, but when you do they aren't commanding what you'd have into a conversion. Most are inching close to Cessna 180 territory, and as good as the plane is, it's not a 180.

DEM
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There is no question that the airplane takes off and climbs much better than with the original C-145/O-300... because of the increased hp at takeoff.

The cruise speed only increases about 15 kts at the expense of 2-3 gallons more fuel per hour. (Depend on who you talk to.)

I don't think I'd spend $35K for that, personally, as my runway isn't shrinking and getting somewhere in 10% less time for $15/hr more ops costs makes no sense to me (despite the thrill of the takeoff/climb performance.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

8O
gahorn wrote:There is no question that the airplane takes off and climbs much better than with the original C-145/O-300... because of the increased hp at takeoff.

The cruise speed only increases about 15 kts at the expense of 2-3 gallons more fuel per hour. (Depend on who you talk to.)

I don't think I'd spend $35K for that, personally, as my runway isn't shrinking and getting somewhere in 10% less time for $15/hr more ops costs makes no sense to me (despite the thrill of the takeoff/climb performance.)
eek.png
eek.png (12.14 KiB) Viewed 21284 times
Aren't you the same gahorn who, throughout this forum from time to time, have professed to considering an upgrade to a IO-360? And that project won't cost $35K?

Or maybe that gahorn was your evil twin, the one the is not the original nut. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:8O
gahorn wrote:There is no question that the airplane takes off and climbs much better than with the original C-145/O-300... because of the increased hp at takeoff.

eek.png
Aren't you the same gahorn who, throughout this forum from time to time, have professed to considering an upgrade to a IO-360? And that project won't cost $35K?

Or maybe that gahorn was your evil twin, the one the is not the original nut. :lol:
Oh....THAT'S the gahorn who wants a perfectly reasonable IO-360 Continental conversion...(and thinks adding to it with another $7K in wing/fuel-tank mods is also a hot idea).......not the gahorn who thinks the O-360 Lycoming is an unreasonably-expensive upgrade. The first guy is the original-nut/winner of the power-ball and adopted brother of Walter Mitty. The second guy is the curmudgeon Gary rolls his eyes over. :twisted:

Seriously, ... DREAMING is one thing. Spending real money is something that has to be discussed with Jamie.

I hope my post in this thread was seen as an attempt at a reality-check ...as opposed to wishing. :wink:

When I gave a flight review to one of our Members who had the Lycoming O-360 in an A-model.... he came over to my field and we went on a triangular lunch/flight. The performance of that airplane was positively exhilarating. The cracking of the windshield and nose-bowl of the cowling from the vibration, and the fuel burn was a reality check.
I haven't priced the Del Air O360 vs the IO360 conversions, but I suspect he IO360 adds another $15K to the picture, despite my personal preference for that mod.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Article coming soon in the Cessna Owners Association for the 170
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

George, now that you bring it up, I'm worried as it appears you've been arguing on these forums with yourself :twisted:
I'm in your camp ( the wish list one), if only I could cook the books undetected, what a plane I would have. Having said that I also wish I had bought a relatively unmolested one that was available a while ago. Really I'm just glad I have one.
Doug I know you've been working on the conversion, hoping for good news out of your Area 51.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Back to the original post. Wanting a conversion and having the resources to acquire is one thing, then you have to find one to install. Should be simple right? Some have had good results in this pursuit, others have had difficulty. Once you actually have it in your hands then there's light at the end of the trouble. Get it, install it and fix the other things which will come along during the major work will take time.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Gerald_Glaser

Post by Gerald_Glaser »

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts - I have come to a decision to leave the plane with the original (rebuilt once again) 145H engine and not upgrade.

I wish in 2004 that I had done the conversion - there was so much else that ultimately had to be repaired when I got through it (the engine mount, exhaust system, carburetor, prop, repaired the cowling) Previous owners had not been kind to N1298D (Ingrid)
But now having done all that in 2004 - those parts , a 10 paint job, and new Mags just hung 100 hours ago - make the rebuild a pretty safe path with a bounded cost.

(When I did this the last time in 2004, the rebuild ultimately cost within 10K of the new O360 option - so there was regret)
I have enjoyed the plane for 13 years as it is, so I guess I can live with continuing to enjoy her as has been for some more years.

Great advice - so thanks to all...

Gerry
Flying N1298D a 1951 C170A
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I could sing the praises of the 180 hp conversion all day long, but considering the costs involved, you're doing the right thing, especially if you like the airplane as it is.