First annual

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

vaflyer

First annual

Post by vaflyer »

I'm getting ready to do my first annual on my C-170B, serial #20418. I'm looking for advice on common problems and areas that require extra scrutiny, etc. I have a F&M filter on the C-145, not sure if there are any special items to look at on this filter assembly. Also 180 gear, scott tailwheel. I have a copy of the Cessna series 100 service manual dated 1 FEB 1962. What and how do I get the current manual? Please excuse my ignorance!
GAHorn

Re: First annual

Post by GAHorn »

The Cessna 100 Series Service Manual, 1962 and Prior is the current manual, although the latest revision may be obtained from Cessna Publications. (Unlikely to have much more useful info than your present copy of the manual...but it's technically more "legal".)

Corrosion, Landing gear attach, wing attach, rudder cables in aft of fuselage, rudder pedals wear/looseness, stabilizer spars and bulkhead for cracks, and all the rest of the 100 hour items. PAPERWORK on all installed equipment and modifications. Just a few of the many items others will also likely mention.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I would look at your log books very carefully and then have a look and identify all mods and STC,s . Some mods and STC,s are written up correctly but over time and different owners , they are removed or changed . Some PMA parts are authorized for some models and not others so a careful scrutiny of the aircraft and log books has to be done . Have a look,at all the AD,s that are applicable also. Plus Cessna releases "Service Letters" and some times these are incorporated but have they been done correctly and completed. The FAA web site has a lot of good information about your model and legal STC,s .
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

He's got Greg Hren's 170. I feel confident that the mods were done properly.

Check your main tailwheel leaf spring, tailwheel bracket, MLG bolts (if they can be torqued, they have stretched and should be replaced) as well as the gear leg shims and extrusions.
vaflyer

Post by vaflyer »

Thanks and keep them coming!!
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Engine mount to firewall rubber bushings, condition of various ground straps in engine compartment.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS