Let the spending begin!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Aeroplane

Let the spending begin!

Post by Aeroplane »

Time for an interior face lift. Anyone else have ill fitting windows? Nah, didn't think so, it's just me...
Attachments
IMG_3300.JPG
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
Aeroplane

Re: Let the spending begin!

Post by Aeroplane »

Anyone have recommendations for soundproofing?
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
gfeher

Post by gfeher »

A good headset. Seriously, I think soundproofing just retains moisture, without deadening sound very much. I removed mine (the original fiberglass type) a couple of years ago because I could see evidence of moisture retention over the years, even though I had a good porous headliner. I can't say I noticed much of a difference in the sound level.
Gene Feher
Argyle (1C3), NY
'52 170B N2315D s/n 20467 C-145-2
Experimental J3 Cub Copy N7GW O-200
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Put on some good door and window seals with good headsets.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Aeroplane wrote:Anyone have recommendations for soundproofing?
Agree with above. When I did my interior I installed the latest sound proofing material and thicker windshield and side windows - couldn't tell much difference in sound. The one advantage was better cabin heating from the insulation.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
Aeroplane

Post by Aeroplane »

Got the latch assembly and new doorlock installed in the passenger side door today. What a pain! They must have had some sort of competition at the Wichita plant to see just how difficult and complicated they could make it and decided to build the door around these two components. I had to modify a box end wrench to tighten the nut for the door lock. Getting it off due to corrosion took a while but installing the new one wasn't bad. A pair of brand new locks was under $20 from my locksmith. While I was putting it back I had to wonder if it wasn't a waste of time since all one has to do is pull two pins and the door falls off even if it is locked... Looks nice though.
Attachments
IMG_6354.JPG
IMG_6353.JPG
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
Aeroplane

Post by Aeroplane »

About the I'll fitting windows. Mine seem to be just a bit too large for the openings and the rivets scrape the bottom of the window opening in the door. Anyone else have that problem or is it just me, as usual?
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Your hinges might be a bit loose contributing to the sag.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Aeroplane

Post by Aeroplane »

Hinges are tight, the window frame is too tall for the opening.
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have seen this problem before, it's when the window frame is assembled [its in 2 halves] and when riveted together in -correctly this oversizing will occur. To fix , it's glass out[ plastic ] and halves reriveted into another position . Then plastic shaped to fit. We had the situation where we had a number of window frames in disassembley and managed to match what we wanted . PS. Use the thickest plastic that will fit in the window frames ,it cuts down on noise . I have seen Lexan used instead of Perpex also . Lexan is easier to cut shape and doesn't crack as Perpex does.

Just back from giving mine a wash ,and had a look again at my windows and I was incorrect [notnwrong] .the window frame is in 4 parts . So as Jim has suggested you might have to a technical adjustment to the window frames. cherry max counter sunk rivets work well and you can use a aero harbour freight Squizzy rivet puller.
Last edited by ghostflyer on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I had to look at mine again to visualize the sit-ya-ation. Mine fits ok and I had to fab the hinges. If your hinges are tight then possibly someone has replaced them before you. If they are original, that's a wonderful thing they're still tight (smoke and a pancake). I guess what I'm writing is, if the hinges have been replaced and are not thin enough they will lower the window causing it to contact at the bottom.
An indication of fit are the outer trim pieces, if they butt up to each other at the ends, the window should fit fine. When I replaced the glass and seals, I used countersunk cherry's to assemble the assembly. My center bottom opening hinge, bottom is attached with screws and the heads which protrude the most (about an 1/8th) clear at the bottom of the window sill.
If all else fails, then I guess you'll have to cut the frame at each side and grind away some material and then re-weld the square steel tubing. Depending on how many times the window has been replaced you may find quite a few rivets floating around in there :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

"Let the spending began". Wow , I am always spending on my aircraft. It never stops . It like having a teen age child in the family.Last week it was a new pilots step [$500] , this week its 3 CHT probes and about $500. So how much for a new Lear Jet? It could be cheaper.
Aeroplane

Post by Aeroplane »

Soundproofing is probably an exercise in futility since you can pick up an entire door with one finger. Seems you'd accomplish very little with soundproofing there and much with that new Lightspeed headset you wanted anyway.
As for the ill fitting windows, seems that's just what they are. At first I thought the problem was interference in the hinge rivet area but on closer inspection this turned out not to be the cause. It looks like, from the scratches, that the bottoms of the windows have always rubbed the sills. I finally, after much agonizing over modifying a sixty eight year old window frame, removed 1/8" from the height the frames. My grandson, who is an excellent welder, tigged them back together and ground them back flush. He did a beautiful job, you can't tell they didn't come from the factory the way they are now. I've been busy with hurricane preps the past few days and haven't had a chance to work on the plane. Hopefully things will soon be back to normal, whatever that is and I'll have a few pictures to post of the not ill fitting anymore windows.
Thanks to all for your input, Louie
Louie Hanna ‘49 A model