Vacuum Regulator

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

nippaero

Vacuum Regulator

Post by nippaero »

Does this appear to be an original regulator? The ports are marked with "P" and "H". Also a third hole that is plugged. The other side says Pesco 200.

I am looking to hook up a vacuum DG in my panel and was wondering if I could use this regulator.
Attachments
2017-08-28 14.59.02.jpg
2017-08-28 14.58.54.jpg
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
c170b53

Re: Vacuum Regulator

Post by c170b53 »

Looks like the one I took out of my plane, but I don't know if it's an original part or a replacement.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I believe that would have been a regulator of the time and commonly seen in a 170 installation. However a Pesco No. 3V-195 is what is listed in the B model IPC item 76-19. Remember many Venturi installations where not done at the factory as they where an option. Who knows what was used in the field.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:,,, Remember many Venturi installations where not done at the factory as they where an option. Who knows what was used in the field.
The factory options included an "Instrument Flying Equipment" installation which would have followed the IPC and would have included dual venturiis and a regulator plumbed as depicted. However, as Bruce points out, who knows what many folks may have done in the field...? ... the installations I've personally viewed rarely follow the IPC, ... (and are often judged unsatisfactory by their owners who seem more eager to re-invent the wheel instead of following factory designs, yours truly included.)
I hope that sorry-looking regulator can be salvaged and rebuilt. They are simple devices but if they fail to force development of sufficient vacuum you are better off without one at all.

Here's Fig 76 from the B-model IPC which illustrates the factory method as well as that regulator:
Attachments
GyroPanelFig76.jpg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Basically what you have is a flap or ball held against it's opening by a spring. The pressure on the spring is adjusted by the screw. They really can't fail so long as the spring doesn't break, unlikely, or the flap or ball doesn't get stuck closed by a substance such are rust.

Adjustment is made with the screw to relieve pressure on the spring until that point that the max vacuum you want in the system will pull the flap or ball open allowing normal air pressure into the system. Basically a controlled leak.

I think most people do not understand fluid (air) flow. They do not realize the friction of bends in their system and the reason for expensive bend fittings that reduce friction to a minimum. I'm certainly not an expert but I have studied it a little cause I'm one of those who's systems have not operated as expected.

Vacuum systems, those powered by venturi's anyway, are a black art. Vacuum pumps provide plenty of vacuum and it seems one can be more sloppy with their installation. Not so with venturi's, most of which are 4" venturis. 4" has nothing to do with the size of any part of the ventrui but how much mercury in inches the vacuum (or pressure) can raise. Today's modern gyros are designed for 4.5" to 6" of vacuum that a 4" venturi just cannot produce.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Thanks guys. I took it apart and cleaned it really good. I have the larger Venturi, 9" I believe. I removed the big AN gyro and am replacing it with a modern style DG. It will be the only Vacuum instrument I have. I was really close to just getting rid of the vacuum system altogether but I already had the Venturi and need to fill the hole in the panel.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AN type gyros require 3.5" Hg vacuum while "modern" pictorial types require 4.5".
This info is from my instrument overhaul manual by G.E. Irvins.
http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... uum#p77192
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

IMG_0823.JPG
This is the one I removed when I switched to a pump. It is gathering dust.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

When these airplanes were built the common AN style hardware fittings were the most used in vacuum systems. Subsequently, better, more modern materials are used which reduce the "friction" or resistance within the fittings to which Bruce alludes. Polyethelene line systems have much fewer fittings because the lines are flexible and can be routed without as many fittings. Additionally, the poly lines are "slicker" inside when fewer fittings are utilized. As early as the '62 model years, Cessna had begun to use poly vacuum lines.

The materials may be bought from Aircraft Spruce and others. It's what I used when I installed my 2nd Horizon project.
Manifold%20Regulator%20Filter.JPG
Manifold%20Regulator%20Filter.JPG (32.65 KiB) Viewed 15253 times
http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... +venturiis
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

nippaero wrote:Thanks guys. I took it apart and cleaned it really good. I have the larger Venturi, 9" I believe. I removed the big AN gyro and am replacing it with a modern style DG. It will be the only Vacuum instrument I have. I was really close to just getting rid of the vacuum system altogether but I already had the Venturi and need to fill the hole in the panel.
A very long time ago, when I lived in DallasTX in the '90", I experienced the same problem you have. My plane has a 9" Venturi with modern DG and AH. The instrument shop that reparied my vacuum system removed the old regulator and told me I didn't need it. With out the regulator, in cruise flight, I was pulling the correct vacuum to operate all the instruments. And, the system continues to operate to spec still today. Give it a try.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

I finally got my new overhauled DG back in the plane. I tried running without the regulator but I was pulling up over 6" on the vacuum gauge. So I reinstalled the regulator and after a couple flight to adjust the vacuum, it is working great!
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

nippaero wrote:I finally got my new overhauled DG back in the plane. I tried running without the regulator but I was pulling up over 6" on the vacuum gauge. So I reinstalled the regulator and after a couple flight to adjust the vacuum, it is working great!
Good Job! (Where is that pat-on-the-back-emoji...??)