Concorde Battery Charger

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: Concorde Battery Charger

Post by GAHorn »

nippaero wrote:George or others. I have read through the electrical service manual on adjusting the regulator and talked with my IA. I would like to measure the output voltage of the regulator. Is this done with the cowl off and engine running or do you just make small adjustments to the spring tension while the motor is off and then run it to check.
If all you wish to do is "measure the output voltage of the regulator".... then make your connections, tape the leads to the aircraft with duct-tape, stand BACK (or inside the cockpit) and run the engine up above 1700 RPM to take the measurements. (Alternatively, you can simply use the cigarette lighter outlet.)
The battery should be fully charged or nearly so when making regulator adjustments.

If you intend to adjust the regulator spring tensions, it's safest to make a small adjustment, then re-start and re-measure.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Thanks George. My CGR shows the buss voltage so I can use that for readings. My new charger just showed up so I'll make sure the battery is fully charged before.
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

gahorn wrote:The Aviation Consumer article is a good one, but as with most aviation periodicals...they need to sell products to generate advertising income dollars.
AC isn't like most aviation periodicals. Like sister publications Aviation Safety, IFR, and iFR Refresher, they don't have any advertising. That's the whole point. They probably appreciate you highlighting it. :wink:
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DaveF wrote:
gahorn wrote:The Aviation Consumer article is a good one, but as with most aviation periodicals...they need to sell products to generate advertising income dollars.
AC isn't like most aviation periodicals. Like sister publications Aviation Safety, IFR, and iFR Refresher, they don't have any advertising. That's the whole point. They probably appreciate you highlighting it. :wink:
Thanks, Dave, for correcting my poorly-considered post. It was a shoot-from-the-hip comment that was ill-considered.
I don't believe that "Consumer Report" type periodicals are entirely unbiased, however. I was a supporter for a very long time of both AC and CR until some stories "leaked" about how they select products for review. The editorial boards (and the public) are sometimes thereby beguiled.

I prefer well-thought, well-written customer reviews. Meanwhile, I officially apologize for that specific sentence. Thanks.

I stand by the rest of that post, as well as my recommendation regarding chargers.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I agree with your basic premise, however. Regular aviation magazines seem to be worse than other types at running articles that are really just advertisements. ADSB!! Equip now!! Nothing new is coming out! It'll never be cheaper! Shops will be swamped!
nippaero

Post by nippaero »

Just to circle back I received my new charger and it worked great on my battery. What I found was my voltage regulator was not working as it should. But my battery is much happier now. :D
1952 170B
N8180A s/n 25032