N5000A 1st production 172 help

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DocOz

N5000A 1st production 172 help

Post by DocOz »

No one know what's original like you guys. For those of you who saw my plane at OSH this year I would like input on originality. I'm just not done with it even though we won Grand Champion. My plane has a lot more in common with a 170 than most 172s. This is a list of changes we are doing this winter. Any help from anyone who saw the plane at OSH would be helpful.

Going back to Goodyear brakes
Gull Gray landing gear paint
Rivets instead of screws on vertical stabilizer cap
Changing out nose fork and nose wheel to correct
Bendix instead of Slick mags
DWood

Re: N5000A 1st production 172 help

Post by DWood »

I looked your 172 over very well and in fact handed you the trophy Saturday night.
Beautiful airplane and Congratulations.
Since you already won Grand Champion I would happy to discuss details with you.
Please email me at fly170 at gmail dot com with your phone number.
Thx,
Dan
rusty

Post by rusty »

Dennis, glad to give you my two cents worth. E-Mail at texasgram 06 @ yahoo.com with your number. I can tell you several stories about all the original items I have researched on the 170's. My 170 is a 1955 so your 172 would be very close.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

I've got a complete and working set of those goodyear brakes I'm pulling off my 175 here in a few weeks if you're interested....
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dennis, our own judging rules do not penalize for improvements which significantly enhance safety. In that spirit, I'd recommend you keep the Cleveland brake system. They are much more reliable and therefore safer than the Goodyear, as are the associated wheels.

Also, on the note of wheels... beware.... the same bearing PNs used in the Goodyear are NOT the same as those in the Cleveland wheels. Some owners, having converted to Clevelands... subsequently forgot that fact and ordered replacement bearings from the IPC...which is only applicable to the Goodyear wheels. A slight difference of diameter occurs when converting.

See discussion: http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... el+bearing
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)