Air Box Repair

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Air Box Repair

Post by 170C »

Doing an oil/filter change after the trip to Deming, and see that at next annual I am going to have to do some repair on my air box. The shaft is wearing on the bearings/bushings. McFarlane carries replacement bearing housings as well as new shafts, etc. Just wondering how those old bearing/bushings units can be removed from the air box? Appears the are bonded/ welded or riveted to the air box. Years ago I had the same issue and a "friend" offered to help remove the old bearings/bushings and ended up destroying the air box. Don't want to do that again! Do most find the shaft itself still ok?
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
KG

Re: Air Box Repair

Post by KG »

Hey Frank... I have some airbox parts somewhere in my boxes I'm unpacking in the hangar ... I'm taking Harrison back to Georgia today but will be back by Monday afternoon... let's see if there is anything you can use. Keith
53 170B
170C

Post by 170C »

Thanks Keith. We will see what you have in your new hangar stash.
Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Frank-
If the airbox needs any additional repair other than bearing replacement, such as cracks or damper seal replacement, send the whole thing to F. Atlee Dodge in Anchorage. It will come back like new. Kinda spendy but well worth it. I sent in the airbox on my C-180 years ago and it has not required any further repair.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

When I had mine repaired many many years ago, I seem to remember that the bearings were brazed to the sides of the box. You should be able to carefully grind them off and braze the replacements back in.

Also, when my air box was destroyed 3 years ago, a member here on the forums found one in good condition at the Oshkosh flymarket for a reasonable price. There may be others out there.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

This discussion is of interest only because of the durability of Teflon bushings, in lieu of metal:
http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... lon#p30839
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)